Giant Yukon brake and headset help needed

rich222
rich222 Posts: 56
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a giant Yukon hard tail running xt brakes. Just upgraded the discs to 180mm front and 160mm rear. I did order a shimano adaptor for the front but it won't fit at all. I am running marzocchi bomber mx pro lo forks and got a 180mm adaptor but the it just won't fit. Can somebody help point which one i need please and also which one for the 160mm rear

Also, I have just taken a look at the headset and the bearings are nackerd they use these -
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... p-prod2222

No problem ordering another set, but the problem is, there is a rubber ring to go into the top one and it will not go in at all. I have an integral headset spare but no cups. Can the cups be bought on their own? Or how do I get the rubber insert in?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What fitment to fork and frame? IS or PM?

In what way does the Shimano adaptor not fit? to the fork or to the Calliper?

the rubber ring doesn't go into the top one, it centres it by the tip of the wedge shape being pushed into the gap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rich222
    Marzocchi is post mount 6inch according to their website. Distance between holes is approx 75mm. Wanting to run 180mm disc

Rear is is mount hole distance approx 55mm goin up to a 160mm disc

Regarding the headset it looks like previous owner has lost the cone. Only the ring of bearings and a thick rubber. Can I change it to the cone style to use my other set of bearings if I can get the cups?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    A thick rubber may be useful at home, not on a bike, or is it a thick rubber 'something'?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rich222
    Might explain the poor handling with the wrong type of rubber, in the headset I mean. Seems to have turned into a carry on film!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This is like pulling teeth with a pair of pliers, it is like carry on film as you can't be bothered to answer simple questions!
  • rich222
    To the fork, , it womt line up, is there a specific type for marzocchi forks as it will bolt to the calliper but cant see where to the fork. hadnt seen you'd quoted your own reply in a previous comment.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you have the wrong adapter.
    The Rookie wrote:
    What fitment to fork and frame? IS or PM?
    And what adapter?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    807529d1371010787-gary-fisher-frame-new-build-advice-20091009_120028_tech_disk_tab_t.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Sounds like you have a post to IS instead of post to post.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rich222
    regarding the headset, this is the bike specs:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... odel=Yukon

it has bearings in currently where they are pressed into a ring. although it appears the cone is missing. I therefore want to replace the whole headset. would one of these fit at all? i knwo these are going to semi integrated but they do show they come with the cups too.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritc ... -prod17224
    or
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod51070

would any of these fit the yukon or am i totally on the wrong track?
  • cooldad
    From the pic, it looks like a standard 1 and 1/8th external headset, so like the Ritchey you linked to, if that is the same spec as your bike.

But you are all over the place, so I suggest sit down, take a deep breath, and relax.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rich222
    thanks for the help, several frustrating problems beyond my understanding it seems at one go. yer its 1 1/8th steerer, so ill probably opt for the Ritchey one