London "hills"

vertigo16
vertigo16 Posts: 91
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
I want to find a decent hill as close to central London as I can, to really get the blood pumping on a city-based ride. This wold be more like an additional extra at the end of a weekend ride, or something to keep me ticking over when I didn't have time to properly get away from London at the weekend. I like the look of Highgate Hill - long gradual incline out of the city on a reasonably straight road, finishing in a decent climb up to Finchley.

Anywhere else?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    go up swaines lane instead of highgate west hill
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Do the loop a few times and it can be challenging. But as above swaines, highgate west and muswell hill are the ones that spring to mind.

HTH
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The upward stretch between Tooting Broadway tube and Tooting Bec. Norbury tube to Streatham Ice and Leisure centre.

Oh and the mighty, Balham Hill!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    Lots of short sharp climbs around Highgate, and south of the river it's a bit more lumpy along the ridge that runs from South Norwood up to Shooters Hill but otherwise it's pretty slim pickings until you get out into the Chilterns or the North Downs. If you grab a train to bypass the suburbs, you can be out to the countryside for some proper cycling and back in a couple of hours.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    It's not exactly the alps but if i fancy making the commute to work (Tooting-Southwark) a bit more interesting, I take a route through streatham, up to crystal palace and around Dulwich, there are a few punchy little hills round there to get the blood pumping (for me at least)
    http://goo.gl/maps/I0i3m
  • If you are a Richmond Park roller, then try Nightingale lane, just off the A 307 and up to Richmond hill. I think in North London Muswell Hill is a respectable climb
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks everyone, that is very useful.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you are a Richmond Park roller, then try Nightingale lane, just off the A 307 and up to Richmond hill.
    The field below the Roebuck is good for intervals if you're on a CX bike. Ride up on the grass next to the path (dry and grippy close to the path, slipperier and more challenging a couple of yards to the left). Recover on the way back down, nice off-camber turn in the slippery waterlogged bit at the bottom, repeat.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,589
    You can also do Ally Pally, Muswell Hill and then Highgate relatively consecutively which you might find more entertaining than loops.

Also, there are lots of ways up to Highgate, so you can add some variety if you get bored of Swains Lane.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    Crystal Palace is the first decent lump headed South - have a look at the thread on the 'College Road challenge' somewhere in here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Loads in Lewisham.
    One Tree Hill
    Blyth Hill
    College Road
    Cannonbie Road

The other side of London
    You could zig zag up the Harrigay Ladders between Green Lanes and Wightman Road
    or the other side of the railway - Uplands Road heading south.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you are a Richmond Park roller, then try Nightingale lane, just off the A 307 and up to Richmond hill. I think in North London Muswell Hill is a respectable climb

You can do a decent leg-burning circuit SW-way, taking in Nightingale Lane, Star & Garter Hill and Richmond Hill.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    You could do ups and downs of all of the roads between Worple road and Ridgeway in Wimbledon. Plenty of hill there! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.