Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex

Ricey83
Ricey83 Posts: 103
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I have a Giant Defy 4 with 2300's and I'm considering upgrading to either a 105 or Sram Apex full group.

Does anybody have experience with both and can recommend either?

Cheers

Comments

• Ricey83
    throw Campag Veloce in to the mix as well...
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    105 is more resilient, and IMO also shifts better.

(Source: am a mechanic.)
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    105 is brilliant.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Apex much lighter than 105, don't go on about shifting issues with either, mainly down to who fit's the cables. :roll:
  • Ricey83
    How does Veloce stand up to 105?
  • Puk2930
    Puk2930 Posts: 17
    Avoid the Apex.
    In recent years I've run both 105, Apex and Veloce. The only one I wouldn't go for again is the SRAM.
    This is because I think there is an inherent weakness in the double tap shifter, as I discovered the shifter paddle can snap. Also once I replaced the shifter the next one's shifting mechanism completely went as one of the internal springs also went.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    only ever had 105. 6 years on and it's still functioning faultlessly. My only gripe has been that the RH shifter cable has twice frayed inside the shifter; easy enough to replace though.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Never had a problem with my SRAM or Shimano shifters but I prefer the SRAM set up and shifting.
  • 105, I've got both and much prefer the operation and quality of 105. Apex is agricultural but not in a good way.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think SRAM addressed the flaw in their shifters?

Apex is a little cheaper than 105 and a fair bit lighter? TBH - I'd go for Tiagra as a value 10 speed groupset, or spend the extra and go to Ultegra/Rival (or Force). Tiagra is around £280 at merlin and Apex £300 with 10% additional off and 105 for £340ish mark.

I ride Apex/Rival/Force on my bikes, my missus rides old 105, I've installed "new" 105 and "new" tiagra. I just prefer the double tape shifting and have not had a problem (other than the old snapping lever problem once with a Rival shifter) with any of them. My personal preference is Sram - but if I were you, I'd try the hoods and the shifting and see what suits you.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Of course with Apex you get the opportunity to run a 32 sprocket on the back. Have used both 105 and Apex and its a question of what you get used too. Haven't had problems with either. I prefer the shape of the SRAM hoods and levers. But honestly either will be fine.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I went to SRAM just before the internal cabled shimano came out because I wanted the cleaner look. I had apex and force and found the rear mechs wore very quickly on the main cage pivot/spring, and bottom brackets develop play pretty quickly. And the shifters started rattling (but never failed)

I recently tried 5700 and was converted, not only with the shifting but the ergonomics. I even have small hands but the SRAM hoods never felt right. And the lever is pretty short so can be a strain to reach from the drops.

105 is rather painfully heavy compared to SRAM but it is so much more durable. I have just fitted 6800 to my summer bike so I won't be going back to SRAM.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for Apex. Have this on my winter trainer, after having Rival on my first bike (groupset also moved across onto a new frame, now sold). Now also have Force on my CR1. Have had 105 5600 and, whilst that was good, prefer the ergonomics and shifting of the SRAM groupsets. Oddly enough my Force set up seems to be the noisiest of the lot :shock: , current Apex runs silent and requires little or no adjustment.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    borisface wrote:
    Of course with Apex you get the opportunity to run a 32 sprocket on the back. Have used both 105 and Apex and its a question of what you get used too. Haven't had problems with either. I prefer the shape of the SRAM hoods and levers. But honestly either will be fine.

You can run a 32T with 105, too.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Tricky. New 105 has a plushness, in the shifters, that Apex can't quite match. But the rest of it is anyone's game. I prefer the look of the Apex chain set. Shifting wise Apex just works. If it isn't working you haven't had it set up right. I installed mine on my commuter last March. It's easily done 5000 miles or more. Perhaps much more. I clean it now and again. It works perfectly. It's been out in every weather imaginable.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Does 105 still have that faulty left shifter thingy or have they fixed it?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    the problem with shimano is you can't brake and change gear at the same time
  • keef66
    Does 105 still have that faulty left shifter thingy or have they fixed it?

They fixed it. The problem was with levers that could be used with double and triple chainsets. Now they do a choice of double or triple shifter.
  • keef66
    styxd wrote:
    the problem with shimano is you can't brake and change gear at the same time

Not deliberately anyway. I've occasionally found myself braking by accident when fluffing a last minute gear change.
  • Ricey83
    Cheers for the feedback guys. Looks like the 105 has edged it.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The thing to do is try them.

All three work well but they all feel very different to use. Go with what fits your hands; what feedback you want (Campag and SRAM are very definite and click - 105 is more smooth) and also the lever methods (thumbs, doubletap, sliding brake levers etc).
  • skipintro
    skipintro Posts: 1
    I've found SRAM Apex to be hopeless. The front double changer never worked at all reliably even after constant trial and error adjustment. Eventually swapped for a triple. The BB went far too quickly. The rear changer was OK after a lot of fiddling but still a clumsy gadget, but the lever mech failed much too soon (2k mile or so) and replacements cost a bomb.
    You can extract the changer mechs from the levers and bin them, keeping the brake levers as brakes alone, then fit bar end shifters for less than the price of one new SRAM lever, and get beautifully efficient changing totally superior to the SRAM operation.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I've done 3000 miles since November all weather on my commuter on Apex 10sp shifters, rival22 rear mech and force22 front, shimano 105 chainset. All new items, just picking up what was cheap there and then, no problems at all. Following the install guides on sram's sites I've always been able to achieve faultless shifting without too much bother certainly no more than with 105 previously. I do like sram at the moment, have installed used red 10sp shifters on my best bike, slightly smoother action than the apex but there's a lot to like with both. Also have apex 1 build in progress.
  • keef66 wrote:
    only ever had 105. 6 years on and it's still functioning faultlessly. My only gripe has been that the RH shifter cable has twice frayed inside the shifter; easy enough to replace though.

Had mostly shimano in general. I have had 105 on my road bike since 2011 and only ever needed the cables changed. Sora, Tiagara and 105 have all performed brilliantly IME. Never used Apex.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    keef66 wrote:

Had mostly shimano in general. I have had 105 on my road bike since 2011 and only ever needed the cables changed. Sora, Tiagara and 105 have all performed brilliantly IME. Never used Apex.

Excuse me for being an 4rse, but why post on this thread then? The OP is asking for experience of both.

OP, Yes I've had 105 and a lot of SRAM experience. Apex is the bottom of the SRAM road groupsets and sits between Shimano Sora/Clarius and 105. It isn't quite up there with 105, but isn't far off. Hood ergonomics are better with SRAM IMO and the double tap is a better system for me. I don't like the idea of using the brake lever as part of the shifting mechanism. If you want a real 105 competitor, you need to look at SRAM Rival 22 which sits between 105 and Ultegra and is far better. Again IMO.

Apex shifters did have a batch of ones that broke rather easily and were expensive to replace. I've not heard of any recently other than people who have bought second hand. The beauty of SRAM is that if at a later date you wanted to upgrade from Apex 10 speed, to Rival, Force or even Red 22 speed, all you need to change are the shifters, chain and cassette. The derailleurs, even the Apex ones, are compatible with 11 speed shifters. I use an Apex WiFi rear derailleur on my winter trainer set up as its cheaper than the Rival, Force and Red one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    philthy3 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Excuse me for being an 4rse, but why post on this thread then? The OP is asking for experience of both.

OP, Yes I've had 105 and a lot of SRAM experience. Apex is the bottom of the SRAM road groupsets and sits between Shimano Sora/Clarius and 105. It isn't quite up there with 105, but isn't far off. Hood ergonomics are better with SRAM IMO and the double tap is a better system for me. I don't like the idea of using the brake lever as part of the shifting mechanism. If you want a real 105 competitor, you need to look at SRAM Rival 22 which sits between 105 and Ultegra and is far better. Again IMO.

Apex shifters did have a batch of ones that broke rather easily and were expensive to replace. I've not heard of any recently other than people who have bought second hand. The beauty of SRAM is that if at a later date you wanted to upgrade from Apex 10 speed, to Rival, Force or even Red 22 speed, all you need to change are the shifters, chain and cassette. The derailleurs, even the Apex ones, are compatible with 11 speed shifters. I use an Apex WiFi rear derailleur on my winter trainer set up as its cheaper than the Rival, Force and Red one.

The OP asked for advice four and a half years ago to be fair.
  • keef66
    ChippyK wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

In which case I should update my contribution; the 5603 LH shifter packed up shortly afterwards, possibly as a result of me putting too much tension into the cable. A used Ebay replacement, with more careful cable tension setting, has been reliable since.

I'm waiting for the new R7000 105 to become available as a groupset...
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    ChippyK wrote:
    Ha ha - completely missed that detail!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    So. That's your answer. Apex or 105 or Veloce.