Cervelo R3 2014 or Tarmac SWorks SL4 2012

mekong_velo
mekong_velo Posts: 102
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
As topic implies, I am thinking of building one of the following steeds this year.

Price of the Cervelo frame is £1699 (I might get a £160 discount whilst doing a bike fit), or I can get an Tarmac SL4 2012 frame in carbon red (which I really like) for £1799 no discount, different retailer.

Does any body know if the 2012 Tarmac has internal routing for cabling, in case I want to put an electronic groupset on it in the future. Will probably build with Ultegra 11 speed with either Dura-Ace C24 9000 wheels, or Ultegra wheels. If I can justify it, I might push the budget to Sram red 11, just have to find a way of hiding it from the wife, lol.

What do you think, any preferences and why ??

Regards
Cervelo R3
Tarmac Elite

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Those bikes have quite different Geometries from what I can see. You sig suggests you already have a TCR and a Tarmac so presumably you are ok with fit? Both bikes look great to me so really it comes down to fit and aesthetics. R3 would seemingly be a much more relaxed frame.
  • Calpol wrote:
    Those bikes have quite different Geometries from what I can see. You sig suggests you already have a TCR and a Tarmac so presumably you are ok with fit? Both bikes look great to me so really it comes down to fit and aesthetics. R3 would seemingly be a much more relaxed frame.

I think I have my position sorted out but I have just starting to return to some serious cycling after a long lay off. Getting some lower back pain after one and a half hours. I thought it might be wise to get a retul bike fitting, which I'm doing tomorrow, there again it might just be old age, lol.

Ye, I suppose the SWORKS is an out and out racer, still not sure if it has internal cabling routing .

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • Yes it does.
  • Yes it does.

Thanks for information, wasn't sure, must have been some of the first Specalized frames to have full internal routing.

How do you find your SWORKS SL4 ?

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • Not quite the question posed but I was agonising between a 2012/13 R5 and and an SL4:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12913049

I went for the R5 in the end although sadly it took so long to arrive it's sat unridden patiently waiting for summer.....
  • Yes it does.

Thanks for information, wasn't sure, must have been some of the first Specalized frames to have full internal routing.

How do you find your SWORKS SL4 ?

Regards

Love it!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Have you considered an R3 Dark edition. . No internal cables but is allegedly an R5 frame. At £1999 for the 105 version it's a bargain price. Edinburgh Bicycle are showing full availability on their website.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Mr Dog wrote:
    Have you considered an R3 Dark edition. . No internal cables but is allegedly an R5 frame. At £1999 for the 105 version it's a bargain price. Edinburgh Bicycle are showing full availability on their website.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately a little late as I have already yesterday ordered the Cervelo R3 with Ultegra, I also upgraded the wheels.

Looking at frames geometries after my Retul bike fitting, the Cervelo frame fitted me much closer than the Tarmac, which was to long and low for my Stack and Reach figures.

I don't pick up the Cervelo until end of March when I come back from abroad, so have time to break the news to the wife slowly, lol.

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm sure she'll be pleased with your new arrival... I'll keep my eyes peeled.. just in case you swing by Stonehaven :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?