Rear Derailleurs (Again)

the_fuggler
the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
edited March 2014 in The workshop
I've been having some issues with my rear derailleur. I've followed some of the previous advice on here and used the Park Tools videos, but I'm still no closer to resolving the issue. I can either get the shifting up or down the cogs to be smooth but not both. Checked for a bent derailluer but it seems fine (it's practically brand new). Chain is reasonably new and there doesn't appear to be an issue around the limit of movement, so I'm down to a short list of cable and cassette. Any thoughts or advice?

One other thought - the previous rear mech failed fairly spectacularly (snapped). I wonder if that might have affected the cables in any way?
FCN 3 / 4

Comments

• the_fuggler
    Bah - looks like multiple issues. Wheel bearings and cassette potentially need an overhaul.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Check that the hanger that the RD sits on it straight. Otherwisie I'd suspect cable.
  • the_fuggler
    Turned out it was mostly wheel bearings causing play in the cassette (and tired chain plus tired cassette).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • n4th4n007
    n4th4n007 Posts: 364
    I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, turns out I had my 10 speed chain on round the wrong way!? Whooda thought.
  • If you can only get it to go either up or down smooth it could be a number of things but here are the common reasons
    Chain is to short
    Shifter and derailleur are not compatible (this happens with some Sram and Shimano combinations as the are different activation ratios.
    If this bike is a Carerra Kracken they had a problem with there derailleurs if you like you can send a picture of the parts see if I can see anything.