New to roadbiking looking for some advice :)

johnday66939
johnday66939 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all, im 19 and have wanted to start roadbiking for a while and just went out and got my first road bike. I am looking for any tips at all that may help me as a beginner.
I am doing it for many reasons, getting fit while having a laugh :).
Many Thanks
:)

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Find your nearest cycling club and go for a ride with them.

Always take enough food on long rides and carry a pump and two inner tubes

Don't crash
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Good advice. The other thing is not to over do it to start with. Have a couple of days rest every week.

Now if I could get my 18 and 22 year old kids out on bikes!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited January 2014
    Hi all, im 19 and have wanted to start roadbiking for a while and just went out and got my first road bike. I am looking for any tips at all that may help me as a beginner.
    I am doing it for many reasons, getting fit while having a laugh :).
    Many Thanks
    :)

Where are you located?

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/find-a-ride
    http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/
    This will give you something to aim and train for. When I got my first bike I signed up for a 25 mile fun ride taking place 6 weeks later. It was hard going from nothing (half mile ride home from the shop leaving my legs shaking like jelly!) to doing a 25 mile ride 6 weeks later, but it gave me massive motivation and I did the ride no problem.

As said; join a cycling club, but don't be put off if they are stronger / faster than you - because they will be to begin with.

Log your rides on Strava, for several reasons. Cos it's fun to see where you've been, to track your progress, and you can see friends and other local riders on there.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    As others have said go to your local club, you'll pick up tips re equipment, clothing, nutrition, hydration, fitness and technique far quicker than asking on the interweb, good luck enjoy :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    When buying your kit invest in a decent pair of bib shorts.

IMO the most important piece of kit you will ever own
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:

Why? Honest question, as never tried them.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

Why? Honest question, as never tried them.

I started using normal cycling shorts and found they fell down if i didnt tie the waist string ridulously tight, the pad never sat right so didnt really stop me getting sore and they were just generally uncomfortable.

I switched to bibs and none of the above was an issue.

I guess each to their own but i personally swear by them
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

^^This, really good investment IMO.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Buckles wrote:
    ... and carry a pump and two inner tubes
    And don't forget a couple of tyre levers otherwise you might struggle to remove the inner tube should the need arise.
    Regards
    Alan
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As mentioned. Get bibshorts!
    They're far more comfortable than normal shorts. I don't know anyone who's got them and would willingly go back to normal shorts.
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    If you're new to cycling, before you do a club ride it would be a good idea to do a few rides on your own or with mates until you're comfortable doing longish rides of, say, 30 to 40 miles. If you're young, fit and not overweight, this should only take you a few weeks max.

Most clubs are very helpful to new riders, but I will never forget the time this guy showed up on a road bike having not ridden for several years, and I had to (quite literally) push him home from the cafe stop after he bonked. I arrived back almost three hours late. Mrs Southgate was not amused!

This is my club's guidelines, but it would be a good idea to check the website of your local club first.

THINKING OF JOINING US FOR A SUNDAY RIDE? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

Am I the sort of person you are looking for?
    Yes! Our members are young and old, male and female, and from many ethnicities. We are a friendly club and we are not elitist or patronising to new riders.

How fit do I need to be?
    You should be able to cycle 40 miles over rolling countryside in around three hours. If you are not sure of your fitness or have never done this distance before, we would advise you try out a few shorter rides first and build up to 40 miles once you feel able. You don't need to be fast, but you may need to build up some endurance. You are more than welcome to contact us for some informal advice.

What sort of bike do I need?
    Most of our members ride lightweight road bikes with drop handlebars, but you are welcome to ride any bike you like, so long as it’s roadworthy. Please bear in mind that mountain bikes or hybrids are heavier and less aerodynamic than road bikes, and you will need to work harder to maintain the pace.

What happens if I can’t keep up?
    We ride at the pace of the slowest rider, always regrouping at junctions, roundabouts, turn-offs and at the top of hills. If for any reason you cannot continue, we will always assist you in getting home. You will never be left at the side of the road on your own.

Do we stop during the ride?
    Yes. We have a mid-morning café stop, which is generally 15 to 20 miles into the ride. From there you have the option returning with some of the riders to Enfield, making total ride distance of 30 to 40 miles. If you want a longer ride, you can continue a further 15 to 20 miles to the lunch stop, making a total ride distance of 60 to 80 miles.

What should I eat before the ride?
    Just like a car, your body needs fuel in the tank to travel long distances. The night before a ride you should eat a high carbohydrate meal containing foods such as pasta, rice or potatoes. For breakfast, eat some more carbs such as porridge, bread or toast, and maybe an egg or two to add some protein.

Should I bring food and drink with me?
    As an absolute minimum, you should bring at least one water bottle with you, preferably in a bottle cage attached to your bike for easy access. You may wish to add an electrolyte tablet to your water to replace salts and minerals lost whilst sweating, and also bring an additional energy drink. It is advisable to eat small amounts of food on the ride every hour or so to top up your energy levels before they become depleted. Most bike shops sell specially designed energy bars and gels, and supermarkets sell cheaper alternatives. If you prefer, bring a banana.

Do I need lycra clothing?
    Riders can wear whatever they please, but cycle-specific clothing has many advantages, such as comfort, wicking, aerodynamics, and easily accessible pockets to store food, mobile, keys, waterproofs etc.

Do I need to wear a helmet?
    There is no law that requires you to wear a helmet, but we would recommend that you do so.

What else should I bring with me?
    You should bring a spare inner tube and tyre levers, a pump, some cash for the café stop or emergencies, ID and a mobile phone. In the event of a flat tyre or other problem, someone will always be on hand to help if required. Please bring a set of lights if visibility is poor or you are likely to be riding home after sunset.

I am ready to take the plunge, what do I do now?
    Just turn up on a Sunday morning at the designated meeting place (see club runs list for details) and introduce yourself to the ride leader. If you are feeling nervous or have never ridden in a bunch before, we can arrange for an experienced member to ride with you and show you the ropes.

Do I have to join the club before I am allowed to participate in a ride?
    No. The first three rides you attend are free. If you wish to continue riding with the club after your third ride, you are required to take out a membership.

What does it cost to join?
    Annual membership is currently under £20 per year. Additionally, the club requires all members to join either the CTC or British Cycling which provide automatic third party insurance cover.

I have some other questions which are not covered here?
    Please ask on the day of the ride, or email us beforehand.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Southgate wrote:
    If you're new to cycling, before you do a club ride it would be a good idea to do a few rides on your own or with mates until you're comfortable doing longish rides of, say, 30 to 40 miles. If you're young, fit and not overweight, this should only take you a few weeks max.

Most clubs are very helpful to new riders, but I will never forget the time this guy showed up on a road bike having not ridden for several years, and I had to (quite literally) push him home from the cafe stop after he bonked. I arrived back almost three hours late. Mrs Southgate was not amused!

This is my club's guidelines, but it would be a good idea to check the website of your local club first.

THINKING OF JOINING US FOR A SUNDAY RIDE? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

Am I the sort of person you are looking for?
    Yes! Our members are young and old, male and female, and from many ethnicities. We are a friendly club and we are not elitist or patronising to new riders.

How fit do I need to be?
    You should be able to cycle 40 miles over rolling countryside in around three hours. If you are not sure of your fitness or have never done this distance before, we would advise you try out a few shorter rides first and build up to 40 miles once you feel able. You don't need to be fast, but you may need to build up some endurance. You are more than welcome to contact us for some informal advice.

What sort of bike do I need?
    Most of our members ride lightweight road bikes with drop handlebars, but you are welcome to ride any bike you like, so long as it’s roadworthy. Please bear in mind that mountain bikes or hybrids are heavier and less aerodynamic than road bikes, and you will need to work harder to maintain the pace.

What happens if I can’t keep up?
    We ride at the pace of the slowest rider, always regrouping at junctions, roundabouts, turn-offs and at the top of hills. If for any reason you cannot continue, we will always assist you in getting home. You will never be left at the side of the road on your own.

Do we stop during the ride?
    Yes. We have a mid-morning café stop, which is generally 15 to 20 miles into the ride. From there you have the option returning with some of the riders to Enfield, making total ride distance of 30 to 40 miles. If you want a longer ride, you can continue a further 15 to 20 miles to the lunch stop, making a total ride distance of 60 to 80 miles.

What should I eat before the ride?
    Just like a car, your body needs fuel in the tank to travel long distances. The night before a ride you should eat a high carbohydrate meal containing foods such as pasta, rice or potatoes. For breakfast, eat some more carbs such as porridge, bread or toast, and maybe an egg or two to add some protein.

Should I bring food and drink with me?
    As an absolute minimum, you should bring at least one water bottle with you, preferably in a bottle cage attached to your bike for easy access. You may wish to add an electrolyte tablet to your water to replace salts and minerals lost whilst sweating, and also bring an additional energy drink. It is advisable to eat small amounts of food on the ride every hour or so to top up your energy levels before they become depleted. Most bike shops sell specially designed energy bars and gels, and supermarkets sell cheaper alternatives. If you prefer, bring a banana.

Do I need lycra clothing?
    Riders can wear whatever they please, but cycle-specific clothing has many advantages, such as comfort, wicking, aerodynamics, and easily accessible pockets to store food, mobile, keys, waterproofs etc.

Do I need to wear a helmet?
    There is no law that requires you to wear a helmet, but we would recommend that you do so.

What else should I bring with me?
    You should bring a spare inner tube and tyre levers, a pump, some cash for the café stop or emergencies, ID and a mobile phone. In the event of a flat tyre or other problem, someone will always be on hand to help if required. Please bring a set of lights if visibility is poor or you are likely to be riding home after sunset.

I am ready to take the plunge, what do I do now?
    Just turn up on a Sunday morning at the designated meeting place (see club runs list for details) and introduce yourself to the ride leader. If you are feeling nervous or have never ridden in a bunch before, we can arrange for an experienced member to ride with you and show you the ropes.

Do I have to join the club before I am allowed to participate in a ride?
    No. The first three rides you attend are free. If you wish to continue riding with the club after your third ride, you are required to take out a membership.

What does it cost to join?
    Annual membership is currently under £20 per year. Additionally, the club requires all members to join either the CTC or British Cycling which provide automatic third party insurance cover.

I have some other questions which are not covered here?
    Please ask on the day of the ride, or email us beforehand.

Very helpful post. Good to see some very positive approachable clubs.
  • That's a very good post indeed. Our club is in the process of setting up a new website so could do with a similar sort of guide, as with many cycle clubs getting new members to take the plunge and turn up is tricky.
  • +1 for bib shorts. Good clothing is worth the expenditure. Being comfortable (and dry) on the bike is not to be overrated! Merino is goooood.

Put your kit in your jersey pockets rather than worrying about saddle bags etc.

Carry a bit of flexible plastic along with your spare inners in case you get a sidewall tear.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Get on strava & veloviewer if you have a smart phone.
  • ai_1
    boydster76 wrote:
    +1 for bib shorts. Good clothing is worth the expenditure. Being comfortable (and dry) on the bike is not to be overrated! Merino is goooood.

Put your kit in your jersey pockets rather than worrying about saddle bags etc.

Carry a bit of flexible plastic along with your spare inners in case you get a sidewall tear.
    I'd agree with you on good clothing and merino wool but I don't understand why people like putting repair kit etc in pockets intead of a small saddlebag.
    I'd much rather save my pockets for keys, phone, food and a raincoat or armwarmers if the weather's iffy. You're going to need a repair kit and spare tube with you on every ride plus they're heavy and bulky so why not put them in a saddlebag and forget about them until they're needed. Nothing to forget, nothing to take up valuable pocket space. I also leave some cash and spare AAA batteries for my rear light in there in case of emergencies or if I fancy a cup of coffee mid ride.
  • Teampi
    Teampi Posts: 8
    I've added an energy bag to my bike for easier access and tbh it also fits my mobile phone and sweeties. It sits just behind the handlebars.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Once you've loaded up your bike like a camel going through the desert, take it all off again and get out there and have some fun.

I hate bib shorts, they rub my nipples raw with the sweat. Shorts + shirt, start simple.

Puncture repair kit, water bottle and a small bag for phone, gels and a bit of swag - that's all you need.

Enjoy.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another vote for decent bibshorts.
    Wear a proper base layer underneath and you will not suffer like Bo Duke above.
    The straps will not be next to your, er, nipples, and there will be no sweat around your, er, nipples anyway as it will be wicked away by the base layer..................simples ;-)

Endura FS260 Pro would be my recommendation. Very nice bibshorts with a very, very nice pad (thats what you are paying for) and reasonably priced.
    Try not to be tempted by cheap ones that people say are great. Get a decent pair first and try cheaper ones later if you then feel they are ok.

Next thing would be to ride with a club....................... after applying for a new credit card/overdraft increase :lol:
  • ai_1
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Once you've loaded up your bike like a camel going through the desert, take it all off again and get out there and have some fun.
    Who's suggesting loading bikes up like camels? You yourself are suggesting a repair kit, water bottle, phone, gels and a bit of swag.... where's the difference? I've suggested an additional spare tube (~60g)
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I hate bib shorts, they rub my nipples raw with the sweat. Shorts + shirt, start simple.

Puncture repair kit, water bottle and a small bag for phone, gels and a bit of swag - that's all you need.

Enjoy.
    You're the 1st person I can ever remember hearing say they find bibs less comfortable than waist shorts. This is definitely not the consensus view. If you did have the problem you describe then a base layer would probably sort it as mentioned in the previous post. The vast majority of cyclists don't have any problems with bibshort straps.
    I think bib shorts are a very good suggestion for most riders - even if there are exceptions as seems to be the case.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    No need for gels, unless your a mammil in a 100 mile sportive, then they seem complusory.
  • ai_1
    Moonbiker wrote:
    No need for gels, unless your a mammil in a 100 mile sportive, then they seem complusory.
    Nonsense! Nutrition of some sort is a good idea long before you get to 100 miles. Gels wouldn't normally be my choice except for the final stages of long and tough rides. Cereal bars and/or bananas work well for me on rides much longer than 2hrs.

Do you think the pros don't eat on the bike? Sandwiches, energy bars, gels.... Of course they do.

What's a mammil? It's an acronym so the spelling is important. MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra)
    Don't see why younger or older athletes would need less nutrition though.
    You seem to be trying to poke fun at "MAMILs" doing sportives, not sure why, however I don't think you're doing it right.
  • Anonymous
    Moonbiker wrote:

Some of them taste really nice and they are convenient. Sounds like a need to me :roll:
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

...and Strava.
  • Anonymous
    1986sv wrote:
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Hope that's a warning and not a recommendation :lol:
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Carbonator wrote:
    1986sv wrote:
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Is that a recommendation or a warning? :lol:

Now a warning....if you'd seen me a year ago you'd think it was a way of life!