Shimano 105 - 5600 / 5700 Compatibility

RonnieC
RonnieC Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I hope you may be able to shed some light on compatibilty of different Shimano 105 standards. I thought it was time to replace some drivetrain parts on my winter bike and have replaced the BB, chain and cassette, but when I was checking that my gear indexing was working OK I realised that I have a problem with the jockey wheels on my rear mech.

There is too much lateral movement on the jockey wheels, and when I move up past my 14t cog (up to 25t) the chain is moving off the jockey wheels and making a noise that would drive me insane on the road. Other than this, the indexing is working perfectly.

As my rear mech is a few years old and is suffering from some road-rash, I was going to replace it but I can only get a 5700 mech and my STI's are 5600. Trawling the internet hasn't really given a definitive answer, does anyone know for sure if it'll work or not?

Cheers
Ronnie

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    It will work.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Get your mech hanger checked for alignment before installing a new mech. This could be why your chain rides off the jockey wheels. You mentioned road rash on the mech so there is a good chance the hanger is bent and you may find your old mech will now work fine once it's aligned properly.
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    Thanks for the response Buckles, I bought a 5701 rear mech this afternoon and fitted it and it's shifting perfectly now.

Cranky - thanks for your comments, the hanger was fine - my crash that scratched the rear mech was 3 years ago and it's been working OK since then. All I really needed to do was change the jockey wheels as they were badly worn, but for an extra £20 I decided to replace the whole mech for a purely cosmetic point of view.