Planning long distance cross country bike ride

philarkwright
philarkwright Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Tour & expedition
I've got a training plan which I'm well into and can ride 50/60 miles a day with not being too tired.
So I've decided I want to cycle from Manchester in the UK to my mums home town in Germany. Its around 800 miles.

The issue I have is that what do I use to plan the route. I've been using google bicycle planner for ages and its always served me well apart from a couple of instances where it took me on a dodgy route.

I will be using a road bike and so don't want it to take me on any surfaces that won't be suitable.

I've spent a good day analysing the route google has mapped for me and it looks pretty good.
I've only ever used the google bicycle mapping in the UK however this ride takes me across the Netherlands and Germany and so I'm worried there might be problems.

Anyone else who's had experience planning long distance cross country what are your thoughts?

Comments

• If you're planning 50/60 miles a day, you shouldn't have any big problems, as there'll be enough time to get lost and still get to your destination before it's late. Most people in Holland and Germany speak English, so you can ask for directions. And most of it will be on cycle paths - proper paved ones, not muddy tracks that you sometimes find in the UK. I wouldn't worry too much - just make a loose plan and set off.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is a good network of long distance cycle paths that take the difficulty out of navigation, esp in and out of urban areas. All of the paths are suitable for roadbikes.
    It is possible to ride without a map but not advisable. I met a German woman who rode from S. of France to Hamburg without a map and with no navigational skill.
    CTC and sustrans sell the various maps and guides.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    When you say 'cross-country' do you actually mean cross country (which to me means bridleways and trails) or do you mean country lanes rather than main roads?

I'd get a few road atlases that definitely have the roads I'm going to use and whip the pages out of them.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}