150mm to 140mm fox float

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
i have just purchased a pair of fox float fit forks bought as 140mm, but when they arrived I measured the travel there actually 150mm. there fox float 32 fit
Now i have never stripped a set of forks down and was wondering how hard or easy is it to install a 10mm spacer myself or am i better getting my LBS to do it for me and how much will they charge me
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Are you measuring the exposed stations or the travel itself?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Let all the air out and compress the fork, then measure from the distance from the seal to the o-ring on the stanchion. I'm pretty sure 150mm 32's actually have around 160mm of exposed stanchion, I'd have a look but Mojo currently have my forks!

If they are 150mm it's relatively easy to do, there should be videos online somewhere showing you how to do it
  • SUPERSUTT
    just check and yes the rubber O ring is at 150mm the stantions are actually 155mm just pumped up to 100psi and they opened up a bit more

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does 10mm really matter? Not saying it doesn't, just asking!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SUPERSUTT
    The Rookie wrote:
    yes as giant say it will jeopardise my warranty on the frame if I crack or split it my trance x travel max limit is 140mm

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    yes as giant say it will jeopardise my warranty on the frame if I crack or split it my trance x travel max limit is 140mm
    I thought as much, which is of course hogwash as they should specify a max A to C not a max travel, some 140mm forks being longer than some 150's
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    It's an easy enough job to install the spacer, and assuming they are not new an opportunity to do a lowers service while you have them apart. Worth investing in the proper socket tool (Fox BETA flat socket) for the tops as a standard socket with chamfered edges will chew up the heads.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • SUPERSUTT
    Butterd2 wrote:
    It's an easy enough job to install the spacer, and assuming they are not new an opportunity to do a lowers service while you have them apart. Worth investing in the proper socket tool (Fox BETA flat socket) for the tops as a standard socket with chamfered edges will chew up the heads.
    the guy i bought them off had them serviced last July by TF tuning got the report with them. im going to my LBS to get the steerer tube trimmed and the crown race fitted, can i use my old crown race off my old forks which is still fitted on the bike right now.

looking at trying to sell my old forks but dont know how much for there 2013 rockshox XC32 120mm coil sprung with tapered steerer