Upgrade Hardtail or buy Full Suss

wwpaddler
wwpaddler Posts: 10
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a Cube Attention 2010 which has several components reaching the end of their lives.

Needs
new forks - thinking Manitou Marvel Pro from CRC for £220.
New Rear Wheel so probably new wheelset for £100 - £150
New saddle - haven't looked into this yet
New Deore Shifter (rh 9 speed) £20
New Grips (<£20)
New Front mech (~£20)

Bike has already had new brakes (Deore), rear mech (XT) and new chains, cassettes and chainrings.

Is it worth spending this much or should I just buy a new bike? Have seen the Giant Anthem X3 2013 for £900 at Pedalon http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... wwod3DUAiw

Based in Edinburgh so riding reds and blacks at Scottish trail centres and doing natural stuff in the highlands, Cairngorms etc.

What would you do/recommend in my situation?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You don't need to spend that much money to keep your current bike going. I wouldn't argue against the new forks, but you can pick up secondhand wheels (even good stuff) for relatively little cash. You're likely to want to change the saddle on a new bike anyway, plus you have to factor in the price of pedals too.

What shifter do you need? There's normally plenty of secondhand deore stuff knocking around from people who have upgraded to XT etc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Anthem is so good for the money I'd be seriously tempted.
  • Get the full suss.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That Anthem is ace for the cash.
  • You'll get a better pair of Rockshox Recon Golds slightly used for less.
    charge spoon or Maddison Flux for £20 is fab.
    Deor stuff is peanuts used and working from Ebay and the same for a good used 26" wheel as loads of good examples from guys now swapping to 650B and selling off spare kit.

Giant Anthem X3 2013 is a great bike. I have all the same suss on my non standard GT idrive, love the forks but a bit warey of the rear as i'm a fat git and it has blown a couple of times.
    At my old age, I've just started looking at doing XC endurance races for fun after doing last years Thetford Dusk till Dawn, and can honestly see the benefit now in a 29er for smoother longer rides, but if your into tech stuff, not sure this is right.

After all of this, maybe a new bike is the way forward for you, but decide if ts 29er or 650B as the 26" are definitely fazing out.
    I still love mine though!
    Good luck
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • I cant really comment on your bike, but i recently (December) bought the Anthem x3 from Pedalon as well. I upgraded from a Gt Avalanche 1.0 and the improvement is awesome.

The anthem feels so light compared and is so smooth to ride, as well as climbing like a *****!! Although some of the spec looks a bit basic (front & rear mech, shifters and breaks) they all feel just as good as say XT stuff on my old bike.

I say you wouldn't be disappointed if you bought the x3. B.T.W if you got the bike via CycleScheme they sent me a quote and my bike was with me within a week.
  • If it were my money, I'd currently be camping at my front door waiting for an anthem shaped box to be deliverd from Pedalon.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Ignore the wheel size crap too.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you can afford the 900 then the Anthem would be a good choice but 3-400 on you old bike could transform it - a lighter wheelset would make it feel snappier, a new fork could make it feel better over rough stuff.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would say 2-300 tops as some examples...I have
    KCNC foam grips, £6.80, if you want lockons Superstar are about £13
    Used Deore shifters are about £7 delivered off ebay, (I have a nearly new Acera I would do for that, pretty much the same as the 2010 Deore)
    My Trizoid/ Ryde edge7 wheelset is 1740g and cost me £75 (used)
    Saddle - Charge Speeon Cro-Mo for about £20
    Used front mechs are about £5-6 off ebay, (again I have a nearly new Acera....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Got me thinking so I:

Just took delivery of Anthem X29er 1 from Formby Cycles.
    3 years interest free credit and £200 back in goods!

Old GTi-Drive Frame will be sold off, and all newer parts to go on lighter hardrock (bought from Ebay) frame to be sold off as complete (but lighter) bike. (its why I PM'd you about buying your bike)

Anthem perfect for my next XC Endurance Ride

Thanks for putting the idea in my head

Francis
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    wwpaddler wrote:
    Currently have a Cube Attention 2010 which has several components reaching the end of their lives.

Needs
    new forks - thinking Manitou Marvel Pro from CRC for £220.
    New Rear Wheel so probably new wheelset for £100 - £150
    New saddle - haven't looked into this yet
    New Deore Shifter (rh 9 speed) £20
    New Grips (<£20)
    New Front mech (~£20)

Bike has already had new brakes (Deore), rear mech (XT) and new chains, cassettes and chainrings.

Is it worth spending this much or should I just buy a new bike? Have seen the Giant Anthem X3 2013 for £900 at Pedalon http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... wwod3DUAiw

Based in Edinburgh so riding reds and blacks at Scottish trail centres and doing natural stuff in the highlands, Cairngorms etc.

What would you do/recommend in my situation?

£900 would make the cube pretty well spec'd

do you feel as if the hard tail is holding you back?

have you tried a FS bike on the trails.

the giant seems a pretty good buy.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    My guess is that the OP is minded to buy the Anthem and is looking to get some 'justification' from the forum. And nothing at all wrong with that!

If you can afford the £900 for the Anthem - then go right ahead. I promise you won't be disappointed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Go for the Anthem. Its a great bike and a very good price.