Back wheel vibrating and making noise

bad_moose
bad_moose Posts: 49
edited January 2014 in Workshop
The rear wheel on my Giant Defy 5 (standard wheels) has started to make a rubbing noise as it turns. I noticed today that it was pretty much stuck in position, I had to push pretty hard on the crank to get it moving. It made a lot of rubbing noises and then started turning normally, but with more noise than I feel it should make. If you put the bike in a stand and then spin the cranks quickly, it's clear that there's a bit of vibration there. I've made sure there's nothing on the QR skewer that's making noise. I also noticed a tiny bit of rusty residue around the non drive side where the skewer goes through, nothing major though. Do I need to strip it all down and make sure nothing is broken/regrease it all? Any ideas??

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wheel bearing are probably shot due to water ingress and corrosion - what next depends on the hub bearing construction. Suggest you take it to LBS for a diagnosis.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Is the rim binding on the brake?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Wheel bearing are probably shot due to water ingress and corrosion - what next depends on the hub bearing construction. Suggest you take it to LBS for a diagnosis.

Mm I thought it might be water. Frustrating as I've always been careful to dry the bike after each ride and ensure that there's no water sitting anywhere, it's probably only done about 100 miles in wet conditions and it's always stored inside. I'll drop it in to the shop tomorrow. Thank you! :)
    DesWeller wrote:

Nope definitely not, that was the first thing I checked. Thanks anyway though. :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    DesWeller wrote:

Or hitting the chainstay?

last time I had anything like that it was on one of the kids MTBs, and when I took it to bits the rear axle was snapped clean in half!