Inexpensive compressionless brake outer?

majormantra
majormantra Posts: 2,094
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Can someone point me to some? I'm building a bike with cable discs and want to get the best out of the brakes. It also needs to black, ideally, although that's not an absolute.

There's some Jagwire stuff on ebay but no black, and I'm not sure if it's the good stuff or not.

Any advice?

Cheers!

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the Jagwire stuff is good.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I've got Jagwire cables on the two bikes that have cable discs. Does the job and comes with enough outer to do a full run to the rear mech, too. Got both sets from Bike Discount:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1179/ ... 26&cr=GBP#

Rob
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Goodrich stuff is better IME, run it on my MTBs with cable discs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Transfil
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • majormantra
    Thanks. Can we be more specific about which versions to look at? So far I've found:

Jagwire Road Pro - complete brake/gear set for £23.49. Good enough?

Transfil Flying Snake - brake cables and outers ~£20. Or is Black Snake at £12 good enough?

Goodridge outer only £3.99/m but no proper black option.

OR

Goodridge brake cable set for £21.99.

If I can just get braker outers that would be good as I don't need inners or gear outer, but I'll get a set if it makes economic sense. Right now I'm leaning towards the Jagwires on grounds of value.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Pretty sure if go down the Jagwire road you need to go for the XL option or you won't have enough outer to do a full run to both front and rear brakes.

Rob
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Black Snake kit is transfils standard outer with there standard inner. I find the basic transfil workshop outers are pretty good. I use the basic transfil outer on almost all my bikes except my campag equipped one. The braking seems fine. If I want to add some sealing I can with Jagwire alloy ferrules with O rings which are distributed by Moorelarge.

So on that basis use the black Snake kit. The Flying Snake is the Black Snake with some sealing I think. I have never found the need for sealed cables on the road.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • majormantra
    Thanks. This is for a CX bike so I might consider sealed. My frame should be arriving tomorrow so I will review options once I've inspected it.
  • majormantra
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Pretty sure if go down the Jagwire road you need to go for the XL option or you won't have enough outer to do a full run to both front and rear brakes.

I've got my frame and I do want to run full outers to the brakes, so I think you're right.

Now I'm struggling to find anyone who sells compressionless outers in the length and colour I want, who actually has stock.

Sigh.
  • majormantra
    Ok, further question: are the Transfil Black Snake brake outers actually compressionless?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    imho you are overthinking this

all outer for bikes is "compressionless" to the extent it matters, because otherwise it would be useless, and all outer compresses, because that's condensed matter physics

the mechanical disc brakes i've used need less lever force than rim brakes, i.e. lower cable tension, choice of outer is less critical

get a decent no frills outer, it'll be fine :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • majormantra
    Those who know me also know that overthinking is kind of my thing.

There is a difference between the behaviour of conventional brake outer of a spiral construction and the stuff that is braided or uses a spiral/linear combination. "Compressionless" is arguably the wrong word since it's more flex than anything else, but it's the word most people use which is why I'm using it.
  • majormantra
    In any case I've bought some cheap-ish Jagwires by the metre to try out. If I hate them I haven't spent much.