Big (well small-medium) multi purpose HT budget build

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
After getting myself back on the saddle recently and absolutely loving it, much to my suprise the misses has shown an interest in joining me on some of the easier trails soon so has asked me to buy or build her a bike BUT not spending over £200 MAXIMUM!!!!!! I also want a HT that I can use to blip up to the gym on and maybe use as a winter hack ride for the local blue trails when she can't be bothered. We're both the same height and she said she was pretty comfortable on my camber so I can get away with building 1 bike to suit both of us. I know this isn't ideal but it's the way it is. I'm thinking a 1x9 or 1x10

Now obviously with the money I've got I'll be looking to source as much 2nd hand as possible, I've got my eye on a few frames that will be future upgrade proof and I'll use this oppertunity to get some early upgrades for the camber (shifters, bars and stem) but I could do with some recommendations on usable cheap forks and wheels as I'm not as up to date with these as I used to be.

Any other info you think may help is greatly appriciated thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd buy a fully built second hand bike, should get something better overall like a carerra fury.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I agree, a self build will cost more unless you happen to have all the relevant bits lying in your shed.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Pretty much thought the same tbh but fancied doing a build. Not got a lot of useable stuff so pretty much have to buy everything but there's plenty of bargains to be had on fleebay. I'll keep looking for a full bike for the minute and if nothing turns up in a few weeks I'll start a build and just try and extend the budget :lol:

Cheers for the replies
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I am in almost the same position. My girlfriend wants to come on a few off piste adventures with me now we live in the New Forest and her road bike just won't cut it. I have enough spares to build my girlfriend a bike minus frame and fork so I am on the look out for a cheap, small 26" hardtail frame - similar TT and ST to her 45cm Triban 3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are looking for parts for your build, drop me a PM if you like. I have a pile of bars, chainrings, shifters, cassettes and mechs. We might be able to make a deal for a few bits.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    I am in almost the same position. My girlfriend wants to come on a few off piste adventures with me now we live in the New Forest and her road bike just won't cut it. I have enough spares to build my girlfriend a bike minus frame and fork so I am on the look out for a cheap, small 26" hardtail frame - similar TT and ST to her 45cm Triban 3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are looking for parts for your build, drop me a PM if you like. I have a pile of bars, chainrings, shifters, cassettes and mechs. We might be able to make a deal for a few bits.

I like posts like this :D there's a few decent frames on fleebay right now so if I can get one for under 50 nuggets the build is on and I will definetly be in touch
  • Twelly
    Haha I have just found one that looks promising and has a few watchers... I bet you have seen it too, I won't say what it is but may the best man win ;)
  • Twelly
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a single donor bike with the majority of (usable) components you want and then swap onto the frame of choice and make up with the bits that you don't want to or can't use.
    I wouldn't go 1x9 (10 speed will cost a lot more for used parts than 9) for her right now as she may well need the lower gears for longer steeper hills, not having them could put her off the sport!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I wouldn't go 1x9 (10 speed will cost a lot more for used parts than 9) for her right now as she may well need the lower gears for longer steeper hills, not having them could put her off the sport!

Very good point cheers
  • Was lying in bed thinking about this one (as you do) and I've come up with an excellent idea to make it a rigid for a while, the trails I'll be using this thing on are all gravel, it would be lighter for the misses to start on and cheaper to build in the first place, I can add an XC32 then at a later date or even wait till I upgrade the forks on the camber. Unless anyone has any reason this isn't a great idea then I'm feeling positive this is the way to go :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope it's a good idea, rigid is a nicer ride than cheap sus!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    Did you win the Duster? I saw it went for 70something. Figured you might have been tempted.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Did you win the Duster? I saw it went for 70something. Figured you might have been tempted.

No I didn't win it :cry: I was willing to go just over 100 but my little boy threw up all over his bed 10mins from the end so I missed the oppertunity to snipe, bloody gutted really coz that's a quality frame for very little money
  • Picked up a brand new voodoo hoodoo 26er frame for 50 notes so pretty pleased with that :mrgreen: still thinking of going rigid for the time being so can anyone suggest some decent enough rigid forks for the frame?
  • 50quid + delivery so all in for £65 :)

83DA2454-54E1-4CA0-B91B-9D17C39746F5_zpsvjzl0tnh.jpg

Also picked up this little beauty for under £20

9F81F6C8-71AA-4084-B5B1-E1C44DC13DF5_zpsjqsg2bkl.jpg

Going to make it a 1x10, stick on a set of pikes, add some 800mm bars, set of ST minions and a charge spoon and she'll be good to go :mrgreen: in all honesty it just needs a new rear inner tube coz matey had it up to 60psi and wondered why it kept popping the tyre off the rim :roll: (think he's egged it) other than that good little bike for my 11yr old daughter :)