On One 456 Evo 2 assembly in progress

careca78
careca78 Posts: 102
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have several questions related to the assembly I’m trying to do with a On One 456 Evo 2 frame I’ve bought recently.

1- I have an old Deore crankset with 3 chainrings for a 9 speed cassete. I would like to convert it to 2 chainrings for a 10 speed cassete. What sizes do you recommend? I was thinking about 38/24T with a bashguard…

2- My crankset is of the square type fitting. What bottom bracket do you recommend, knowing the 456 frame is a 73mm English thread (BSA?) ?

3- I was thinking about putting an 11-36T 10 speed cassete. What derailleur do you recommend? I was thinking in a Shimano SLX with clutch, but I’m a bit confused about cage size, shadow plus, etc. Cans you give me some help?

4- What front derailleur do you recommend in the shimano SLX or Deore range? I believe it requires a high clamp.

5- What shifters do you recommend in the shimano SLX or Deore range?

I really need some help figuring out the correct part numbers to make the correct order.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 whatever suites YOUR riding.
    2 whatever wouls with the cranks you have.
    3 read the mech cage length topic in the FAQs as that will help you know what you need when you know what cogs you are running.
    4 one that works.
    5 10spd
    some questions are buying advice.

but i would bin the cranks and get a 10spd set up as you are then less likely to have any issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Ribble cycles are really good for shimano stuff, great prices, you can get a full 2x10 SLX drivetrain, cranks, mechs, shifters, chain and cassette for under £200 atm and there's currently an extra 10% off as well, so I'd go for for that!
  • careca78
    Thanks for the inputs.
    I'm trying not to go for a complete set because I'm a bit short of money and trying to use as much old parts as possible. My doubts are about compatibility and P/N's.
    I already asked On One about some advice and I'm waiting for an answer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like your approach is out to me, if you are running 2x then I would build it 9 speed, if you are thinking of using a square taper in. 456 I would instead be getting a good used HT2 setup, in fact I reckon using good used parts throughout you'll have a much better bike than this approach and for less money in total, if the crankset is 7/8 speed the narrower 10 speed chain won't be ken on it either.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • careca78
    I took all your advices and with my wife's authorization (this is very important!) I will probably buy a complete Shimano SLX set and bypass all that compatibility problems.
    The complete 2014 2x10 set is around 500€ in Portugal and they will assemble the bike for free.
  • The Rookie
    You can get it for £200 (about €240), €260 to assemble it would be a rip off.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • careca78
    240€? Really?
    Life in Portugal is too expensive!
    Where can I find that? Remember I'm looking for a 2x10 complete set, including brakes and discs.
    I wento to a bike store yesterday and the owner printed the Shimano official catalogue with prices and it was around 408€ excluding VAT.
  • The Rookie
    lawman wrote:
    Ribble cycles are really good for shimano stuff, great prices, you can get a full 2x10 SLX drivetrain, cranks, mechs, shifters, chain and cassette for under £200 atm and there's currently an extra 10% off as well, so I'd go for for that!
    Where........????? really??????
  • lawman
    With brakes its a bit more than £240, but still a bargain! http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx ... 58862.html
  • careca78
    From what I can see in Merlin a complete set costs with brakes and rotors 438€ plus shipping costs and I can't choose disc rotor sizes... so it's not that different from paying 500€ for everything and be able to choose some options.
    I also saw other online shops and most of them have similar prices and problems and are out of stock.
    Internet buying is good but I think it still can't beat going to a shop...
  • careca78
    Hello

Having decided that buying a complete SLX drivetrain plus brakes to a local shop it's now time for yet another decision... I-Spec or clamp shifters?

From what I've saw the I-Spec system removes some clutter from the handlebar and provides a cleaner finish, but loses in versatility because they're only compatible with Shimano brake levers.
    Price is not an issue (1,6€ cheaper than the clamp version) and the lack of a shift visor doesn’t bother me at all.

Does anybody has it installed? What is the common opinion about I-Spec?
  • lawman
    Seeing as shimano make the best brakes I'd I-spec, looks abit cleaner and less cluttered.