Mallorca holiday plans

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone give any suggestions for hotels? Ideally in the Alcuida Port area I think

Just something simple & nice for me, where I can easily rent a bike & go off as I please each day

Any help welcome as I've never been before

Comments

• Can't offer any specific hotel advice, but Port de Pollenca is nicer than Alcudia, plenty of bike rental places too.

I used Rent March who were ok (their office is a little scummy but otherwise fine). And I hear good things about Pro Cycle Hire.

Best advice is to book now as you can have trouble closer to the time.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    We are basing ourselves in Alcudia at Easter, as the hotels are a bit cheaper than Pollenca, though not much. We have gone really basic and cheap, and booked with lowcostholidays (£160 flights and self catering). Worth looking at their site and on the likes of teletextholidays and booking.com for ideas of hotels too, even if you don't book through them.

Hiring Di2 Cube bikes with Max Hurzeler for the week.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • ednino
    Booked Hotel Daina in Pollenca. Its only 400 meters from Pollenca cycling centre so ideal

Now to study some maps & plan some routes! Want to get all the main climbs in (Colabra, formentor, major etc)
  • The Daina is ok, central and has a locked bike store across the road.
    There is a current thread here on Majorca.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12954288
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Stayed in the Daina last year, not in the main hotel but in their apartments just behind the hotel. Nice place and Puerto Pollensa is, in my opinion, the nicest resort on the island. The hotel has a really good salt water swimming pool right on the beach but I wasn't too impressed with the security of their bike store so I just kept it in the apartment. There is a fantastic cake shop just a couple of doors along from the bike store which I can heartily recommend :D .
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • You will love the Colobra! Possibly the best fun I've had on a bike! Brilliant descent & a cracking climb back up. The Col de Lluc is great too. I stayed at the Viva Tropic in Alcudia last year & it was excellent. Have fun!!
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Crescent wrote:
    Stayed in the Daina last year, not in the main hotel but in their apartments just behind the hotel. Nice place and Puerto Pollensa is, in my opinion, the nicest resort on the island. The hotel has a really good salt water swimming pool right on the beach but I wasn't too impressed with the security of their bike store so I just kept it in the apartment. There is a fantastic cake shop just a couple of doors along from the bike store which I can heartily recommend :D .

With you on that. Stayed in the Daina hotel a couple of years ago. Everytime I visited the storage area with key from reception, it was wide open. I also locked my bike as best as possible once in there. I'm staying in the apartments this time (May) and taking my own bike. So I reckon bike in the apartment is the way forward.

The location, pool and breakfast make it a good place to stay though.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Just to digress a moment, I'm going to Porto Pollensa in March and would like to know the best way to get there from the airport that doesn't cost too much.
    I could take the bike out of it's box and ride but I've never been to Majorca and don't know what the roads are like.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    random man wrote:
    Just to digress a moment, I'm going to Porto Pollensa in March and would like to know the best way to get there from the airport that doesn't cost too much.
    I could take the bike out of it's box and ride but I've never been to Majorca and don't know what the roads are like.

It would be a fair old hike from the airport to Porto Pollensa, doable but possibly not the best way to get there with baggage etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company but there is a bus transfer service you can use. My daughter came over to join us last year and used the service, I think it was about £15 and takes about an hour.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Crescent wrote:
    random man wrote:

It would be a fair old hike from the airport to Porto Pollensa, doable but possibly not the best way to get there with baggage etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company but there is a bus transfer service you can use. My daughter came over to join us last year and used the service, I think it was about £15 and takes about an hour.

Thanks for this Crescent, I'll have to do some research.

Sorry to hijack your thread ed :wink:
  • ednino
    That's ok, I haven't booked transfers yet. Think its about 100euros for a return taxi

Pollenca is the other end of the island to Palama lol
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Thisis the transfer service from Palma airport. http://www.resorthoppa.com/
    I use it a lot but now they have started charging for the bike. Though I don't bother taking my bike anymore.
    Cheap efficient service though.
  • If you're interested on other areas I stay in peguera -- about 20 mins from airport -- and other end of mountains. Rad international (lovely family run company) has spaces at several hotels with secure bike storage & full bike shop including canyons for rent (iI take my own bike so can't vouch but I believe they're ultegra with option for SRAM red). I think I'm
    paying like £50 per night for half board.

If you do hotel through them they cover transport & bike storage.

The routes from here (other than one) requiring climbing at least one hill to get out of the town -- and you are pretty much equidistant from orient and soller, 2 very popular climbs.

Up near alcudia you can do flat if you head north. Don't really have that option unless go along coast to Palma (there's a bike path).

It's also less crowded biker wise until hit centre as I think most cyclists stay in pollensea area. I've done both areas (and Palma nova, which i don't recommend) & prefer where I stay, perhaps bc I know area really well. It's ticky tacky but there's a good supermarket.
  • Yep, airport to Pollenca is cyclable but it's the best part of 50 miles - which might be ok if you don't have any bags, but no doubt you will...
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Just back from a great 10 days out there. Weather was superb most of the time. Even sunburnt my nose.
    I stayed in Arenal. Paid £480 for two of us all inclusive. Superb food and drink. Nice room with sunny balcony and great rding on the doorstep. shared the roads with the Sky and Garmin teams at times.
    Hired bikes locally from one of the many shops doing deals on carbon bikes.
    12637258523_61202bd270_z.jpg
    12637634574_d42f51585e_z.jpg
  • Very nice! The bottom picture seemed to by typical of the major roads there, no explicit cycling lanes as such but a really wide shoulder.
  • bigjim wrote:
    12637634574_d42f51585e_z.jpg

bigjim that pic brings back so many great memories of cycling Majorca 8) :D

Roll on April when I will back to ride again. To give the OP my opinion, we always stay at the Pollensa Park, its not expensive(my fiancee and ride partner is a travel agent #bonus) and has a great range of food, the rooms are comfy and it is ideally located, one problem we have found is that over the past 12 months the bike transfer business from the airport has become very overpriced, and alot of the old companies not even bothering any longer :cry:

Get out there, get cycling - you will love it 8)
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018