Pedal dilemma

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
I know this is a question as old as time, but anyway: am about to get a bike fit, as an Xmas pressie to encourage me to drag my lardy backside out on the road :lol:

Am wondering about pedals: I currently run SPDs with Spesh MTB-style shoes (which I'm happy with), but was wondering if I'd get more benefit from running full-fat road pedals, eg SPD-SL, Looks, etc. - or should I just stay as I am and save the money? Am planning to move up to a 100 mile distance this year, ABW.

I suffer from the following pathetic excuses:
- Wide feet
- Oldness (am coming up to 45 :( )
- Generally dodgy joints (some knee, hip, back discomfort related to various car crashes, rugby injuries, etc)

Ta in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you're happy with the shoes then stay with them and the pedals.

I ride on SPDs on both bikes. The important bit is to have a shoe that doesn't give hotspots - so it needs a stiff sole - if you've got that then the cleat and pedal choice is secondary.
  • It depends really, assuming you have plenty of spare funds. SPD-SL is ok if you are literally just getting on your bike, riding and then when you get off you change shoes; as they are pretty much useless for anything else.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    I ride with SPDs but a proper stiff soled Shimano shoe. Ideal as it means I can walk easily in them if need be (often is up some of the hills!!!). Hubby does same.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'd agree that initially I'd stick with SPD's - though I'd always go for duoble sided ones myself, for some reason I never go on with single sided SPD's! Then, if you get any "hot-spot" issues, I'd suggest some road specific pedals. Again I could never get the hang of SPD-SL, but then I've ridden 25+ years on Looks. I know the SPD-SL's have "pontoons" to make walking less of a faff, but persnally (again) I'd go for Looks and get some cleat covers. Never going to be elegant, but will stop you going base over apex in the gents!
  • Ricey83
    Ricey83 Posts: 103
    I use Shimano 105 spd-sl's with Shimano R087 shoes and I've done a couple of 100+ mile rides and they're comfortable but if you're already running SPD's then I can't see the point in changing as I don't know of any benefits to be honest.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I like spd's and MTb style shoes as the cleats are recessed - meaning you can walk normally rather than looking like you've cacked yer drawers.

However, I started to get knee problems. I switched to speedplay frogs which have loads of free float (feels weird at first), but work same kinda way as spd's (recessed cleat).

Give them a look
  • secretsam
    Thanks all - those A600s may well be the ideal compromise, think they look ace (ahem!) but also offer a bit more support

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I'm of similar age, with similar rugby and road accident related knee, hip and back problems. I use Shimano 520 SPD pedals and they work really well for me with MTB shoes. I'll change pedals when I can spend £200 or so on a lovely pair of Sidi shoes, but for the foreseeable future I'll stick with what I've got because they do what I want.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Likewise, I've done ~15000 miles on SPDs 520 and MT42 shoes, the shoes have now cracked behind the cleat (negating the benefit of stiff soles).

I was looking for some replacements and the road shoes fitted that bit better, so tempted but for me it'd mean leaving a spare pair of shoes at work and I really don't like the idea of not being able to walk when I get off the bike.

I think I will go with Egg Beaters for the road bike, Mallets on the MTB and Specialized Expert or Comp MTB shoes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • secretsam
    yup, got the old 520s on all the bikes now, apart from the MTB (which has those off road platform/bear cage ones - 524s???)

So i'll stay as I am

Bike fit tomorrow, I can hear the laughter now as they see my racing physique!