Castelli Espresso Due Jacket

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Wiggle have these for £161, which doesn't seem too bad.

Can anyone help me with sizing? As I'm in France, it's not so simple to send back if it's the wrong size.

I'm in between Small and Medium; 5'8 and 63kg. I like a tight, snug fit, no flapping.

I recently bought a Gabba SS jersey in Small and that's a great fit, so I'm tending towards Small......

Also, any other jacket as good in this price range that I'm missing?

Cheers!

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Same size as the Gabba.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'm 5ft 9 and 65kg and take a small in castelli jackets.
    Insert bike here:
  • Thanks chaps, I measure 92cm chest and 80cm waist which is precisely what Castelli size as Small, but as a jacket needs to be a bit bigger than a jersey, I wondered if a medium would be required, but I guess not.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    I just got a large long sleeve jersey which fitted exactly right just as the size guide predicted;the tight fit does accentuate the late middle age spread though :oops:.Nice for a size guide to be accurate though.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd go small, I'm a couple of inches taller than you with a 38" chest and the medium is a nice snug fit on me so would probably be a bit baggy for you.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Mine's was deilvered today, so hopefully 5'11'' and 76kg = large...

Seems a good deal and I had wiggle vouchers from Santa burning a hole in my pocket!
  • Ordered a black/red in small.

Given how warm people say it is, I'd probably only have something thin on underneath.

(N.B. re. thread about Castelli Cafe, this was over £20 cheaper with Wiggle).
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Ordered a black/red in small.

Given how warm people say it is, I'd probably only have something thin on underneath.

Exactly!
  • In case it can help others with sizing;

Got my jacket today in Small.

Fits nicely, it's a slim fit without much room underneath (one thin layer will be fine, methinks). Arms a touch long if anything, body length maybe a teeny touch short, but hard to tell until I ride the bike.

Medium would have been too big (but wearable) for me.
  • 1st ride report;

1'C at 9am, but dry with clear skies.

Wore the Espresso with just a long sleeve top underneath. Perfect body temp for 1st 1 1/2 hours, then temp up to 6'C isn, and got a bit warm. Off with skull cap, and unzip jersey, and all good. Any wheel spray just beaded off the jacket.

Good stuff!
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    5ft 8.5in and 70kg and i got a large (standard clothing i usually take a medium) in the Velocissimo jacket, tried a medium as well but the neck was too tight with it zipped up.....fits nicely though.
    Usual Castelli rule is go a size larger but if it fits fine, no problem. :)
    Cheers, Stu
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I've just ordered this from wiggle after deciding between this and the Assos Bonka jacket. Went for this in the end (small as I am 5'7" and 66kg). Sleeves do come up a bit long though the cuff of my gloves extend over the bottom of the sleeves so this isn't visible.
    Nice toasty jacket when the temp is 4-5 degrees or less.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Yes I had found this but none in my size.
    Still I ordered £200 worth of goods from wiggle and used the MONEY-OFF-2 code to get £40 off my order
    Have to say that if you are a bigger size then the Merlin price is excellent (I have seen these jackets go for more on ebay used!)
  • snakedoc wrote:
    I've just ordered this from wiggle after deciding between this and the Assos Bonka jacket. Went for this in the end (small as I am 5'7" and 66kg). Sleeves do come up a bit long though the cuff of my gloves extend over the bottom of the sleeves so this isn't visible.
    Nice toasty jacket when the temp is 4-5 degrees or less.

Good stuff! Still enjoying mine, but today was too warm (>10'C) for it so just stuck a Gabba SS over a long sleeve top.

Got a biblical soaking last Sunday over 75km, and the Espresso was not totally waterproof, but pretty good considering.

Had a heart attack when I saw the Merlin price, but as usual it's just XXXXXXXL. Hmmm, would make quite a good tent that....
  • derosa
    snakedoc wrote:
    Yes I had found this but none in my size.
    Still I ordered £200 worth of goods from wiggle and used the MONEY-OFF-2 code to get £40 off my order
    Have to say that if you are a bigger size then the Merlin price is excellent (I have seen these jackets go for more on ebay used!)

Am XL (is that big?) so the Merlin Deal was good for me.

Big H

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Bought this in the wiggle sale, great jacket.
    Only worn three times;
    1st time, I came off on black ice, took a sore one - first thing I checked was the jacket. Not a mark on it!
    2nd time, cold and dry to start turning to heavy rain. Rode about an hour in rain and it kept me dry
    3rd time, dry and about 7 degrees - had to open vents, but kept wind off well.

As above, it's def one for temps below 10. Too warm otherwise.
  • derosa
    Smaller sizes apparently back in stock at Merlin - http://www.merlincycles.com/castelli-es ... 55035.html

Big H

• motog
    motog Posts: 122
    Ordered a red/black size L from Merlin today. Thanks for the heads up. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my well used 851.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Love mine. Has kept me snug and dry on some really crappy commuting days over the past couple of weeks. Well worth the money!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.