6 Speed conversion

phil_pompey
phil_pompey Posts: 153
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Can anybody advise if a 7/8 speed cassette will run on a quando hub currently running 6 speed?

The reason I ask is my Mrs brought a hybrid last year with 18speed gripshif. However she has issues shifting due to wrist injury. I want to convert it to Shimano STI (Alivio or similar) however I can only get these in 7 or 8 speed.

Advice greatly appreciated as I think 7 is the same spacing but 8 might be pushing it.

Thanks,

Phil
Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it a cassette or a spin on freewheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 7 or 8 speed shifter will work on the 6 speed 'gears' you'll just have 1 or 2 slots you can't use.

6 speed is almost certainly a spin on freewheel, you'll need to measure the frame but usually a 7 will fit (8 speed freewheel's are available but rare).

5,6,7 and 8 are all the same gear spacing and chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The 7 or 8 speed shifter will work on the 6 speed 'gears' you'll just have 1 or 2 slots you can't use.

6 speed is almost certainly a spin on freewheel, you'll need to measure the frame but usually a 7 will fit (8 speed freewheel's are available but rare).

5,6,7 and 8 are all the same gear spacing and chain.

Cheers guys,

I thought that was case, I knew I could use the 7/8 speed shifters with the 6speed block/cassette
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707