Monarch shock from China

fielonator
fielonator Posts: 100
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Howdy,

I recently bought a monarch shock on ebay from singapore. I wasn't proud of myself, but it was an unusual size and I didn't have a great deal to choose from. It finally turned up and looked ok. Once fitted I noticed it's not quite right. The rebound damping doesn't appear to be working and there's a funny noise as the shock moves in and out of it's travel.

I'm not sending it back as it was very cheap and I can't be bothered dealing with someone on the other side of the world who won't care too much if I'm unhappy with him.

Anyone got any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it? Is it likely that there's just no oil in it?

Any suggestions (apart from those warning me not to buy cheap parts from china again) will be appreciated.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    does it sound like a sucking squelching noise?

what tune is the shock and what bike/travel do you have.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    edited January 2014
    Is it a new or used shock? Have you checked the air pressure in it? And when you say the rebound dampening doesn't work do you mean there is no noticeable difference as you turn the rebound dial?

As for the noise some shocks are just noisy, they squelch as oil is forced through the valves so it could be nothing... but.. and coupled with the lack of rebound dampening you have it could be cavitation (air in the system or loss of nitrogen pressure which causes bubbles in the dampening oil)... probably a good idea to send it in
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    could be the IPF pressure being too low
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The rebound needle of the monarch is often a couple of hundredths too long, so when it's turned to max, it gets stuck against the inside of the piston bolt. TFtuned would buzz it down when they service the shock.

Other than that, remove the can, turn rebound to minimum and slam the damper through a compression stroke as fast as you can.. Sometimes that budges it. After that, don't turn the dial to maximum again.
  • Thanks for the replies.

It's a new Monarch RT3. 185mm/45mm stroke. It's from a Marin Alpine Trail with adjustable travel from 4 to 6 inches. I can't remember the shock tune, it's at home and I'm at work. It is a sucking / squelching sort of noise, and it does seem to hold pressure. There is no rebound damping as far as I can tell. Moving the adjuster does nothing, neither does the lockout.

I think that's all the questions answered.
  • I'd just bite the bullet and send it for a full rebuild.
  • Would you be able to pm the ebay users details?

Also was it brand new or used or new(other) as in taken off a built bike before sale?

I understand this hasnt got much to do with op original question but would help me out