Replacing a tired Ultegra 6600 groupset

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I’m looking to replace a rather tired Ultegra 6600 groupset, it’s given me 8 years of faithful service but it’s time has definitely come. I’m tempted by the new 11 speed Ultegra 6800, but have several sets of wheels that would need major surgery to go from the 10 to 11 speed cassette, which would add to the cost. The previous generation 10 speed 6700 is the obvious choice, but the chainset just looks ugly to me, and somehow the shape of the hoods feels wrong. I also want to get away from the exposed cables on the 6600 shifters, so am not keen on replacing like with like. Am I being too fussy, or is there another option I haven’t thought of? Thanks.

Comments

• Are you kidding me? 6600 is the best groupset I have ever owned. I've just bought a new rear mech after mine went following at least 10,000 miles of abuse.

It runs like a dream and I don't think I'll ever need to replace the shifters but I wouldn't hesitate. You'll find plenty of people who will tell you that it shifts better than 6700 thanks to no under-tape cable routing.

I'd just replace the mechs if I were you. Wiggle do a rear for £60.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I'd just replace the mechs if I were you. Wiggle do a rear for £60.

But that's unlikely to actually result in any effective improvement except in appearances. Mind you, I don't normally replace things unless they don't work anymore and I can't repair them!

If you're effectively just bored of the groupset you've got, why not try one of the other manufacturers - then you'll actually find riding the bike a different experience. Just replacing a groupset that is aesthetically tired is going to be a satisfactory spend for about five minutes I'd have thought.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah buy a SRAM and after your 12th fluffed gear change of your ride you'll really miss your Shimano.... ;-)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    6700 does have under bar tape cable routing, and mine actually works a lot better than the 6600 on my winter bike - it might just be because its newer of course, and I actually much prefer the shifter hood shape. I got away from the fugly chainset by fitting a Dura-Ace one, they can be had fairly cheap since the newer DA stuff is for internal BB systems.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Assuming equally good setups, clean cables etc, 6600 shifts better than 6700 as cable friction is lower. 6800 is excellent though. What wheels would you need to replace/upgrade?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    what about new cables and posh new jockey wheels and a full stripdown/clean/rebuild ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • term1te
    Good points. I also don’t like upgrading just for the sake of it. I’m running a mix of Shimano 600 and Suntour XCD on my commuting bike, and vintage C Record on the Sunday afternoon bike. The 6600 does still work well, but the brake leavers are scratched up and have decorative bits missing after a number of crashes over the years. The clamp on the front mech looks like it’s had tiny snails slithering over it with caustic slime etching into the metal. The chain rings on the R700 chainset don’t have much more life in them either. Last year’s upgrade was a set of red cables. It’s also given me around 50,000 miles, so it deserves a rest.

The wheels I’d need to modify include some Planet X 50 mm carbon tubulars and a couple of sets of home brew based on Novatec lightweight hubs; one with a Stan’s tubeless rims, the other Halo Mercury rims. Both of which I'm very happy with. I could rebuild them with 11 speed hubs, but would prefer not to if at all possible.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You may be able to get 11 speed freehubs rather than rebuilding, although sourcing them can be a pain. Alternatively you can swap in a Campag freehub and use a Campag 11 speed cassette, which will work fine with the Shimano stuff.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Miche primato hubs which are around £70 take 11speed hubs.

I also have Shimano 6600 on my old retired summer bike(now my winter bike) and its done about 10,000miles and shifts as crisp as the day I got the bike. My new bike has 6800 but not road tested it yet.
    Brian B.
  • term1te
    You may be able to get 11 speed freehubs rather than rebuilding, although sourcing them can be a pain. Alternatively you can swap in a Campag freehub and use a Campag 11 speed cassette, which will work fine with the Shimano stuff.

Thanks for the tip on switching to a Campag freehub, which appear to be readily available for my wheel collection. It could be the way to go.