Carbon Weight Limit

Blurico
Blurico Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Road general
Hi Everyone,

I am very keen on purchasing my first Carbon bike :) After stumbling across the right one, the store itself could not tell me whether there was a weight limit on the frame. I called Felt/Saddleback in this case to ask the same questions and they told me that there was no weight limit on the frame, but only to the accessories such as the wheels that come with the bike which have a limit of 105kg, so I will need to change. I currently weigh 129 kg and wanted to know if I would be covered if the carbon frame cracks or what not? Felt Warranty is 2 years on the frame they said. If the manufacturers say there is no weight limit which sounds absurd and the bike shop say there is a weight limit than who to trust and more importantly where can I find it out? As no one seems to know :(

Cheers

Adrien

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    edited January 2014
    Your post is confused and contradictory
    Blurico wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I am very keen on purchasing my first Carbon bike :) After stumbling across the right one, the store itself could not tell me whether there was a weight limit on the frame. I called Felt/Saddleback in this case to ask the same questions and they told me that there was no weight limit on the frame, but only to the accessories such as the wheels that come with the bike which have a limit of 105kg, so I will need to change. I currently weigh 129 kg and wanted to know if I would be covered if the carbon frame cracks or what not? Felt Warranty is 2 years on the frame they said. If the manufacturers say there is no weight limit which sounds absurd and the bike shop say there is a weight limit than who to trust and more importantly where can I find it out? As no one seems to know :(

Cheers

Adrien

initially you say the bike shop didn't know then you say that the bike shop told you there was a weight limit - if you clarify which is correct then we should be able to answer.

As it stands the only thing which is clear from your post is that Felt told you was that there was no weight limit on the frame but there is on the wheels and that you are too heavy for the wheels. So as far as their liability is concerned if you rode the frame and bust it in normal use they couldn't refuse a warranty because of your weight. If however you rode those wheels and bust them in normal use they could refuse to honour any warranty on those because they have told you clearly that you are too heavy for them.

As to the bike shop's part in this - what did they say:

a) the store itself could not tell me
    or
    b) bike shop say there is a weight limit ?
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i doubt during a warranty claim they will send someome out to your house to weight you. ;)
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    i doubt during a warranty claim they will send someome out to your house to weight you. ;)

They are watching always watching ....