Campag Veloce 2011 brake pads

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi can anyone please confirm that these brakes take the standard BR-RE700 pads? Manual seems to say so, but listings don't make it very clear - they just say Record, Chorus, Centaur - but I think this is from before veloce had cartridge pads?

Thanks
FT

Comments

• jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    If the pads are replaceable, you will see that the rear end of the brake block is exposed. If the brake block is completely encased, then it's not replaceable. The problem is solved by fitting with replaceable blocks and some Campag groupsets now have them (such as Athena which I use). Otherwise, you can fit Shimano brake blocks which have replaceable blocks.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    they will be replaceable im sure.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • fleshtuxedo
    Yes they are replaceable cartridge pads. I'm just trying to be sure it's just the standard Campag ones, same as record/chorus/centaur. Anyone know?

Before 2011, veloce had the crappy moulded shoes/pads that cost more to replace than a new set of calipers!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes they are replaceable cartridge pads. I'm just trying to be sure it's just the standard Campag ones, same as record/chorus/centaur. Anyone know?

Before 2011, veloce had the crappy moulded shoes/pads that cost more to replace than a new set of calipers!

Just get the pads. I can't see that they won't fit (when I've ordered pads the options are always Campag or Shimano and nothing more complicated than that) but if they didn't fit, you'd be better off getting new shoes rather than looking for effectively non standard pads.

BTW, the pads are a sod to get into the shoes. Washing up liquid helps as does removing the entire caliper and fitting them in situ. I did think that the Shimano method using a screw was better but that's even worse as the screws are weak and sieze up.

I recently got a set of Super Record brakes and they have a spring clip holding the pads which in theory should make life a lot easy. Only knowing Campagnolo the actual dimensions of the shoe will probably be exactly the same so the block will be just as hard to fit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fleshtuxedo
    I've bought some normal Campag fit Swiss stop greens. Fingers crossed then...
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Just trying to replace mine. Any tips on removing the old worn ones? I'mhacking away with my Stanley knife but at this rate I'll miss tomorrow's ride!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Just trying to replace mine. Any tips on removing the old worn ones? I'mhacking away with my Stanley knife but at this rate I'll miss tomorrow's ride!

Should be able to just insert a wide screwdriver in at the open end between block and shoe and lever it out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Rolf F wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Should be able to just insert a wide screwdriver in at the open end between block and shoe and lever it out.
    Didn't think of that! Managed to wheedle some long nose pliers in the open end and yanked them out. Getting them in wasn't too hard, start them off and then push down on the closed end.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Sorry missed this question. Yes it's a piece of piss if you know how - Rolf is right, and there's a good clip on youtube:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiVq_FWcLU