help adding in a chain link

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Might be missing something here but I'm struggling to add in one extra link to my shimano 8 speed chain using a missing link. Could anyone give me a quick dummies guide?

Just to add I know how to add/remove a missing link.. it's the adding of an extra chain link using another missing link I don't get

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The bit of chain you're inserting needs to have an inner link at both ends, so you can fit a missing link at each end of it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    well a missing link just replaces an "outer" link in your chain. you can only add links in pair -an inner and an outer. So to add an extra link you actually add need an extra inner link from somewhere.

1) break chain at your existing missing link

2) find a spare inner link from a spare piece of new chain.

3) rejoin the chain as follows:
    inner end of main chain - missng link 1 - spare inner link - missing link 2 - the other inner end of main chain

if you need to add more than two links then use 3 5 07 etc links of new chain in (2) but always with two inner pieces at the end.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    Great. Think ive got it. So is it ok to use a single piece of inner chain (a bit that technically you can take apart) and attach that in using missing links?
  • chatlow wrote:
    Great. Think ive got it. So is it ok to use a single piece of inner chain (a bit that technically you can take apart) and attach that in using missing links?

That would depend upon the chain that you're using. Some chains use swaged pins and once these have been removed then to use them again weakens the chain. The usual remedy is to use several re-usable joining links to make up the length. Shimano chains require their own joining pin to be used which after insertion is made to break off.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ^^ I don't think this answers what you're asking
    chatlow wrote:
    If I understand you right, that's exactly what t4tomo was saying
    t4tomo wrote:
    3) rejoin the chain as follows:
    inner end of main chain - missng link 1 - spare inner link - missing link 2 - the other inner end of main chain
    where his 'inner link' == your 'single piece of inner chain',

ie split your existing chain at the missing link
    get a bit of narrower inner chain and another missing link
    connect the bit of narrower inner chain via missing link at each end back into the main chain

I've seen it argued you shouldn't have two missing links together on the chain like this, but it's actually OK
  • chatlow wrote:

That would depend upon the chain that you're using. Some chains use swaged pins and once these have been removed then to use them again weakens the chain. The usual remedy is to use several re-usable joining links to make up the length. Shimano chains require their own joining pin to be used which after insertion is made to break off.

Now you really have me confused.

You understand this then?
    "So is it ok to use a single piece of inner chain (a bit that technically you can take apart) and attach that in using missing links?"

In my defence, I am very old. :(