Used MTB prices too high?

dotto
dotto Posts: 104
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Is it me or is the second hand mtb market seem over priced??

Looking at classifieds (ebay,forums etc) are people paying the asking price or are they being haggled down considerably?

Thoughts??

Comments

• If they sell, no. If they don't, yes.

Same with anything really - it is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    They don't look overly high to me?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    As above, if someone pays the money it was priced correctly. if they don't it wasn't!

I always find ebay is an expensive way to buy a used bike. There are always chancers asking more than new for some things, but majority seem fairly priced.
  • dotto
    Yes fair point chaps...what i can't get my head around is people still paying £££££ for used bikes, road bikes i can see them holding value as they are not generally thrown down a mountain.

MTB folk must have far too much money lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Supply and demand, a certain number of people will supply depending on price they can get, a certain number of people will buy depending on the price they will pay, where the 2 lines cross sets the price....if they are selling they are at the right price (or too cheap) if they aren't the seller will have to reduce the price or decide to keep it.

Personally I would say that the price of reasonable MTB's (Hydraulic discs, damped forks, Acera quality components as a minimum) has gone up about 40% in the last 2 years, real bargains are much harder to find.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    44639315.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dotto
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Part of it is people who think they can sell a used bike for slightly less than an identical brand new bike which is on sale at a reduced price. Just make a cheeky offer and see how you get on. There are plenty of good deals to be made.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have sold a bike on ebay and the buyer paid over £100 more than I found the same bike new online.
    I have seen a used Nukeproof Mega frame for sale for more tha CRC were selling them.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Granted there are some real numpties on ebay who will do anything to win the auction even if it means paying more than you can get it from elsewhere brand new!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes fair point chaps...what i can't get my head around is people still paying £££££ for used bikes

You want people to pay you?

My MTB is generally in far better condition than my winter road bike!

eBay is always expensive, sellers trying to recoup their excessive fees, and why not! As said, things are worth what people pay.