Wheel upgrade

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am sure this has been asked several times but it probably won't do too much harm to ask once again.

Looking at wheel upgrades and currently considering

1. Fulcrum racing 3
2. Shimano RS81
3. Hope Hoops Pro

Budget up to £400 but would prefer to spend less.

thanks
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yes.

whats the question?
  • fat_tail
    thoughts on these or others in the price range ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Agreed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    It does appear that people seem to get tired of answering a not unreasonable question, and therefore providing pretty crap resonses.

Here's an idea - if you haven't got anything worthwhile to add, don't press 'Submit'.

My worthwhile addition is that I'm also interested in exactly this price point and have so far found no useful answers here.
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    Very different wheel sets and it obviously depends on what riding you do...

Having said that I have the Hope's and find them disappointing. I bought them as an upgrade to Fulcrum Racing 7's and didn't find them much of an upgrade at all. Am considering my next set now and to be honest might not be looking past racing 5's, quattro's or Kysiriums (SP).

Alternatively have a look at the wheelsmith's stock wheels.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bazzer2 wrote:
    It does appear that people seem to get tired of answering a not unreasonable question, and therefore providing pretty crap resonses.
    The search function would give you chapter and verse.
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Here's an idea - if you haven't got anything worthwhile to add, don't press 'Submit'.
    yup - we could just ignore it
    bazzer2 wrote:
    My worthwhile addition is that I'm also interested in exactly this price point and have so far found no useful answers here.
    useful answers or answers that fit your viewpoint?

Anyway - there isn't enough information given to advise an appropriate wheel - what's it going to be used for? Whats the riders weight? - two basic but critical bits of info!
  • orangepip wrote:
    Having said that I have the Hope's and find them disappointing. I bought them as an upgrade to Fulcrum Racing 7's and didn't find them much of an upgrade at all.

I often get asked how a set of Open PRO on Hope hubs compare in performance with a set of Fulcrum 5 or 7. I try to be honest and say that there is no performance upgrade and the upgrade is all in how reliable they will be and how much of a long term investment they can be (rims can be replaced etc... )
    The OP does not specify what kind of upgrade he is looking at. Most "performance oriented" upgrades end up being very marginal. Marginal can mean the world to some and nothing at all to others... and all "cosmetic" upgrades and up being boring to the eye within one year or until the next wheelset up in the range goes on sale.
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fat_tail wrote:
    I am sure this has been asked several times but it probably won't do too much harm to ask once again.

1. Fulcrum racing 3
    2. Shimano RS81
    3. Hope Hoops Pro

thanks

Buy the wheelset which you think looks the nicest. Seriously.
  • fat_tail
    The OP does not specify what kind of upgrade he is looking at. Most "performance oriented" upgrades end up being very marginal. Marginal can mean the world to some and nothing at all to others... and all "cosmetic" upgrades and up being boring to the eye within one year or until the next wheelset up in the range goes on sale.

Lighter, stronger, faster (implied) ... bike currently running on some cheapo wheels.

Anyways, didn't mean to start a war.

Thanks to orangepip for the wheelsmith suggestion. they look (and sound) good. will investigate further.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • fat_tail wrote:

Lighter, stronger, faster (implied) ...

Unless you abandon metal construction and a spoke/rim system, lighter and stronger in the same sentence are an oxymoron often used by magazines to hype some insignificant so called technical advancement. It might be that a full carbon wheel is lighter and stronger than a metal one, but I yet have to see one that actually is.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail wrote:

Lighter, stronger, faster (implied) ...

Unless you abandon metal construction and a spoke/rim system, lighter and stronger in the same sentence are an oxymoron often used by magazines to hype some insignificant so called technical advancement. It might be that a full carbon wheel is lighter and stronger than a metal one, but I yet have to see one that actually is.

I suspect we are going off topic here.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • fat_tail wrote:

In which sense? It's not that I am talking about the ideal variety of potato for roasting... I thought I was spending valuable time to give you some good advice re. the Hope you were considering and upgrades in general.
    Well, anyway good luck with that...
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail wrote:

In which sense? It's not that I am talking about the ideal variety of potato for roasting... I thought I was spending valuable time to give you some good advice re. the Hope you were considering and upgrades in general.
    Well, anyway good luck with that...

Indeed .. thanks again. Hopes are off my list as are any potential "performance" upgrades.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    orange pip wrote:
    ... and how much of a long term investment they can be (rims can be replaced etc... )...
    Maybe also a little O/T but do people buy wheels as long term investments, keeping the hubs and spokes and replacing rims when they wear, or do they buy them as functional consumables, replacing them once they are worn or damaged? More likely the latter for me with the state of roads in west yorkshire. Is it really cost-effective just replacing the rims on a set of wheels costing £150 - £250? If they do buy wheels as long term investments then are we talking about a significantly higher price bracket to make it worthwhile?
  • Sprool wrote:
    Maybe also a little O/T but do people buy wheels as long term investments, keeping the hubs and spokes and replacing rims when they wear, or do they buy them as functional consumables, replacing them once they are worn or damaged? More likely the latter for me with the state of roads in west yorkshire. Is it really cost-effective just replacing the rims on a set of wheels costing £150 - £250? If they do buy wheels as long term investments then are we talking about a significantly higher price bracket to make it worthwhile?

If you spend 250-300 (difficult to spend less on a hand built set) on a set and wear off the rims, you will spend another 130 -150 including labor to re-rim them, which means virtually new wheels... it might make sense it might not, up to you to decide.
    There is also an element of environmental conscience in not throwing away stuff which is still usable, but again, you might care, you might not.
    Don't forget some do get attached to their wheels, others consider them as a disposable item... in essence we are all different. My experience is that those who do buy wheels that can be re-rimmed, tend to stick to them and get them re-rimmed rather than throwing them away, so it seems to make sense.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Imposter wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

1. Fulcrum racing 3
    2. Shimano RS81
    3. Hope Hoops Pro

thanks

Buy the wheelset which you think looks the nicest. Seriously.
    This. Same applies to most bike kit
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • fat_tail
    Currently looking at getting some hand built wheels. Looked at a number of builders:

1. hewitt
    2. just riding along
    3.dcr wheels

Any experience with the above (positive or negative) or any other recommendations would be welcome.

thanks
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • I could, but not in public. Write me a PM if interested in an opinion
  • Okay not in your original list, but what about a pair of Shimano Ultegras, now 10 and 11 speed compatible and well within your budget around the £250.00 mark.

I use a set on my Giant TCR they have never missed a beat, great wheels IMHO.

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • fat_tail
    Okay not in your original list, but what about a pair of Shimano Ultegras, now 10 and 11 speed compatible and well within your budget around the £250.00 mark.

Regards

I did consider them but discarded because of the cup and cone. I prefer sealed units. My mileage is around 200 km per week .
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    fat_tail wrote:
    Okay not in your original list, but what about a pair of Shimano Ultegras, now 10 and 11 speed compatible and well within your budget around the £250.00 mark.

Regards

I did consider them but discarded because of the cup and cone. I prefer sealed units. My mileage is around 200 km per week .

By 'sealed units' I presume you mean cartridge bearings. FWIW I've found the sealing on Shimano hubs to be pretty good, and I like being able to periodically strip / clean / relube / adjust the cup and cone bearings with just a pair of cone spanners.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    ~£400 at my LBS would get some H Plus Son Archetypes on DT240 hubs built up with Sapim spokes, nice looking and riding wheelset.

It's hard to beat factory built wheelsets at this price point for weight but the I'd go with the handbuilts for longevity and future maintenance.

There is a wealth of rim and hub combinations out there for £400 if you went handbuilt.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Check on eBay. Heaps of wheels on there at good prices.

I've just bought some Campagnolo Zondas on eBay for £180. Great condition and the buyer assured me they've ridden less than 1k miles so, eBay maybe worth a look!
    2013 Bianchi Vertigo Carbon with Campagnolo Zondas
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
    ~ Albert Einstein
  • I upgraded Fulcrum 6 to Rolf Aspin was a sound investment you can buy these for just under £400.00 Cheers