head angle change

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just upgraded my forks from 120mm rockshox XC32 coil sprung to fox float fit 140mm and was wondering how much the head angle would change, I know it will and want it to as i find the 69.5 degree on my giant trance X3 (26" wheel) a bit steep.
I preferred the 68 degree on the camber before it got stolen.
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    general rule is every 20mm of travel will slacken the bike by a degree or so, depends on the brand of fork and the axle to crown height, so it could be a little more or a little less. So I would imagine with the 140mm fork it would slacken out to around 68.5 degrees. If you're still finding it a little steep, I'd highly recommend a works components angleset, this one should fit you bike, but they do other versions as well - http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/new--- ... -143-p.asp

I've had mine a year now its bloody brilliant!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the above is not quite correct.

travel has nothing to do with it.

approx 1" change in axle to crownrace distance will change the head angle by 1 degree. (this is bassed on an average hardtail MTB).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SUPERSUTT
    the 120mm rock shox are quick release and the 140mm fox are 15mm screw thru maxal. I'm happy with a one degree change as thats what I'm used to.
    Also how much effect will it have on the bottom bracket height

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It depends on the wheel base and the relative position of the BB. I suspect a 20mm a2c change will make less than 10mm at the BB. Stick a 20mm lump under the front wheel and measure.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    I have just upgraded my forks from 120mm rockshox XC32 coil sprung to fox float fit 140mm and was wondering how much the head angle would change, I know it will and want it to as i find the 69.5 degree on my giant trance X3 (26" wheel) a bit steep.
    I preferred the 68 degree on the camber before it got stolen.

fox 140 float A2C ~510 mm
    RS XC32 120 A2C ~495 mm

so probably about 0.75 degrees slacker
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    the 120mm rock shox are quick release and the 140mm fox are 15mm screw thru maxal. I'm happy with a one degree change as thats what I'm used to.
    Also how much effect will it have on the bottom bracket height

lift the front wheel up by 15mm and measure it
  • SUPERSUTT
    cheers guys for your input and advice the new forks just turned up in the post today cant wait to fit them, the only down side is i need a new front wheel to fit the 15mm screw thru maxal now :-(

• lawman
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    cheers guys for your input and advice the new forks just turned up in the post today cant wait to fit them, the only down side is i need a new front wheel to fit the 15mm screw thru maxal now :-(

A small price to pay for a better fork, better stiffness and slacker geometry, can't believe the Trance is so steep! :shock:
  • SUPERSUTT
    thats what is says on the Giant website. the 2013 X1 has 125mm- 140mm fox talas
    X2 runs on fox float 125mm and the X3 gets a basic rock shox XC32 coil sprung with (blue) a firm spring which is like riding a pogo stick

• lawman
    The XC32 sounds like my old Tora's u-turns, don't get much more pogo sticky than that! :lol: They were brilliantly reliable though, I had mine for 2 or 3 years and never touched them, I suppose for the price I paid new for them, £180 they were good compared to what you'd get for that cash today.
  • SUPERSUTT
    i think therock shox XC model now are even cheaper than that. plus i never did like coil sprung cant beat air tuned forks