Annoying (concerning) Mystery Clunk

Benjo74
Benjo74 Posts: 67
edited January 2014 in The workshop
Back on the bike this morning (I bottled it yesterday - first day back at work after 2 weeks off) and all the way into work my bike was making an unusual clunking noise as I rode.

The noise sounded (and felt) similar to when you get stuck inbetween gears but it is a singlespeed so that rules that possible reason out. Annoyingly the noise isn't there when I get off the bike and spin the wheels or turn the crank. The noise still occurs when I am not pedalling, and there are no obvious visible loose parts colliding or rattling. The clunk does not occur in time with the wheel revolutions, so I'm pretty sure it isn't something hitting one of the spokes etc.

It sounds like something is about to break but I can't for the life of me find the source of the problem. I'm hoping that at least I make it to the weekend when I will have time to dismantle / clean / reassemble the bike, but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

The bike is a Wilier Tony Bevilaqua singlespeed.

Thanks
FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When/where does it occur, sounds like a pedal or BB bearing in which case it will usually occur in the same point of crank rotation and not when unloaded.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Check the wheel rims for side-to-side movement - looseness in the hub bearings.
    Also check the fork and headset for looseness - apply front brake and attempt to roll the bike forward & backward.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Go straight to the oracle

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html
  • Benjo74
    From my diagnostic fiddle, I think it is looseness in the rear hub bearings. I have temporarily fixed the problem by riding my other bike, but I need to figure out how to fix it properly and didn't get chance this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
  • Benjo74
    Rear hub bearings tightened = mystery clunk eliminated.

Thanks all!