Wardrobe malfunction...

Morris Cat
Morris Cat Posts: 26
edited January 2014 in Road general
Having recently joined a local club, I now have concerns about the kit I'm expected to wear on the club runs. Don't get me wrong I've no desire to appear #fpkw but the colour combo is simply shocking and doesn't match my TDF beauty. I would be grateful if you could provide some advice on how to approach the club about this unfortunate situation, perhaps you can share some nice pictures to support my case?
Felix pouches (tuna or salmon)

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    What does your club kit look like? can you post a pic?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Am I right in thinking your TDF is that horrible yellow colour?
    What colour do you think goes with that?
    Does every club member wear club kit?
    Did you not think about this horrible situation before joining?
    Does the club know you have a TDF?
  • Don't worry about it, just turn up in what you have that will appropriate for the conditions. If the club is half decent they will be encouraging and supportive rather than overly bothered about what you turn up in.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm fortunate in that I like our club kit - effectively a replica of the 1980s Raleigh Ti pro team red white and yellow. When we are all in the same kit the effect is very smart but, in winter, I tend to wear non club jackets because I've already got them and they work for me. Others do similar so there's often two or three not in full kit and as long as there is a good reason, then nobody really minds. But next winter I'll probably be in a club softshell.

Point is, if you are in a club, and staying in it, you should be making the effort. If you are in a group of people all wearing the same (hideous) kit, and you are wearing your own kit matched to your bike, do you really think that that makes you look better? All it does is make you look discordant - you might match your bike but you don't match the group.

If you really can't wear the kit then join another club whose kit you do like and put up with the probable inconvenience of being much further away from the ride starts. Hopefully that might make you decide that the kit really isn't that important after all. And, after all, once you are a keen, contributing member, you can always suggest a change to the design of the kit in future. You probably aren't the only one who doesn't like it.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'm fortunate in that I like our club kit - effectively a replica of the 1980s Raleigh Ti pro team red white and yellow. When we are all in the same kit the effect is very smart but, in winter, I tend to wear non club jackets because I've already got them and they work for me. Others do similar so there's often two or three not in full kit and as long as there is a good reason, then nobody really minds. But next winter I'll probably be in a club softshell.

Point is, if you are in a club, and staying in it, you should be making the effort. If you are in a group of people all wearing the same (hideous) kit, and you are wearing your own kit matched to your bike, do you really think that that makes you look better? All it does is make you look discordant - you might match your bike but you don't match the group.

If you really can't wear the kit then join another club whose kit you do like and put up with the probable inconvenience of being much further away from the ride starts. Hopefully that might make you decide that the kit really isn't that important after all. And, after all, once you are a keen, contributing member, you can always suggest a change to the design of the kit in future. You probably aren't the only one who doesn't like it.....

You Sir are in Airedale Olympic and I claim my £10
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Morris Cat wrote:
    Having recently joined a local club, I now have concerns about the kit I'm expected to wear on the club runs. Don't get me wrong I've no desire to appear #fpkw but the colour combo is simply shocking and doesn't match my TDF beauty. I would be grateful if you could provide some advice on how to approach the club about this unfortunate situation, perhaps you can share some nice pictures to support my case?

So let me get this straight. You chose this club despite them having a shocking kit?

You've approached this joining a club malarky completely wrong.

You choose a club whose kit you like.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    LegendLust wrote:
    You choose a club whose kit you like.

Absolutely. I ruled out a number of clubs on the basis of their horrid 1980's style kits.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    LegendLust wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

You Sir are in Airedale Olympic and I claim my £10

Oh you're in Leeds! Far too easy. If you were Bolivian and had spotted that it might have been worth a tenner! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    In my club we had guys still wearing the old kit - must have been 15 years old and with the old sponsors on. They tried to persuade them to update - but cyclists are stingey. ;-)

We also had a guy whose only top was the Neon Blue and Purple Lampre kit. Clashed totally with ours - but we just took the p***. I think thats the most important part of the club - p** taking.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I see club kit as mandatory for racing and optional at any other time. You should not have to wear it on a club run, unless perhaps the club is sponsored and the sponsor should be getting that advertising for his investment.