Man Down! Mangled Wheel

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited January 2014 in Road general
I guess it was inevitable, after several incident free cycling years, I finally got taken out on a little ride tonight (less than 1km from my house).

Entered the roundabout turning right, a fella coming from the other side just merrily pulls straight out and into me, I make contact just in front of the wing mirror and my front wheel goes under his.

He first tried saying he didn't see me - which is fine, shlt happens. But when I tried to point out he may want to pay more attention in future if he can't see a 6ft man wearing a bright yellow jersey riding a bright yellow bike with a gajillion watt light on the front, he changed his mind and decided I cut in front of him. :?

In fairness though, he did change his mind back again when I pointed out how ludicrous that comment was though.

We exchanged details and such stuff, and he buggered off, didn't even ask if I was ok, which hurt my feelings to the point I might have a little weep about it later on (I'm fine by the way, elbow and forearm are a bit sore, but no major damage).

It's now been reported to the rozzers, who were tremendous and very helpful.

Sadly, the wheel is TOTALLED! I suspect the forks are gonners too. Still, could've been worse :)

Do you think it'll buff out?

DSC03569_zps85bca191.jpg

DSC03568_zpsc93bd7c6.jpg

DSC03572_zpscdcf38d1.jpg

DSC03571_zpsc1cfba0c.jpg

DSC03570_zps3cc55823.jpg

Comments

• that's impossible... the Ksyrium are bombproof!

Yes, the wheel is a write off... hub parts could be of use to someone
    left the forum March 2023
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Glad you're ok!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    You are a lucky, lucky man!
    that's impossible... the Ksyrium are bombproof!
    :lol:
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I had something similar happen recently but mine was the back wheel, i'll spare you the photo of my wheel and also the one of my bruised 4rse!!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Did you ride home...?

:D
  • Could have been a whole lot worse, glad you are ok.
    Think I'd be replacing the frame as well.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had a similar crash, I thought my fork was ok, but after seeing a small paint crack, like 2mm, took it too my lbs and they stripped some of the paint off and the fork was very cracked and had to be replaced.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Glad you're ok.

Fork damage looks terminal. You'll be needing a new bike. :wink:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    You probably need a new TT bike as well.
  • Just gonna say, That looks like a really nice bike. (pre-crash obviously)
  • Ouch glad you ok relatively speaking.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    Get yourself one of these and you can fix that.
    spokey-pro-red-for-euro-us-spokes-IMG12836.jpg
    I'd have a long hard look at the forks and maybe claim for them as well. Glad you're relatively unharmed.
    Rigid forks on the Kinesis and ride that for now?
  • Yeh, the kinesis with rigid forks is one option. Will probably use the rockhopper during the week though, that's all set up as a communter anyway (shame I wasn't using that today).

I love this bike, she's my pride and joy. Hopefully not TOO damaged. Will just have to wait and see what the shop says.

So.........

I've reported to the Police, got reference number etc.
    Got contact details for driver who has offered to pay for any damage already (although I suspect like most people, he's got NO idea how much bike stuff costs).
    Bike will go to LBS tomorrow for their assessment and quote for fixing.
    I've got no injuries worth mentioning (luckily, as I'm racing this weekend).

Next step is to contact the driver with the quote from the LBS and see if he wants to just pay-up or deal with insurance.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Not nice to see a fellow cyclist have an accident. At least you're uninjured.
    Shame about the bike (very nice btw) but nothing that can't be fixed/replaced 8)
  • Lucky man, I would be thinking defo fork and probably a frame replacement as well looking at that damage. I'm hopefully just coming to the end of a similar claim - hope our driver keeps their word and plays straight as mine didn't and its dragged it out since last Sep!
  • Sounds like the driver is a complete dumbass, and personally, I'm fed up with idiots like this nearly killing me each time I go out on my bike.

Use a claims solicitor and make sure you hit him with all you can (like he hit you). Some may call this ambulance chasing, but the only way transport ministers, insurance companies, etc. will sit up and take notice is when money is involved.....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Sounds like he's probably looking at a claim circ 5-600, so probably will end up using his insurance company. Keep it simple, claim for what is broke, don't falsify any details or seek revenge. You really can't go on how people react post accident as a measure of the character. For most they are coping with primitive brain functions fueled by adrenalin. Yes he will probably change his story once he works out the cost, but if the facts are consistent with yours then his insurance company will settle quickly to avoid having to pay legal fees.

Seeing and looking are different things ;)

Both versions of the story result in blame being 100% on him as I assume you clipped his drivers side wing. So either he pulled out on top of you or you cut from the inner part to the outer part of the roundabout as you exited. You'll always cop liability if you try to overtake someone on the outside on a roundabout as its pretty obvious to all but the stupid that at some point the other vehicle will want to exit.

Carefully crop your photos to exclude the lack of pedal and rear reflectors before sending to his insurance.
  • diy wrote:
    Sounds like he's probably looking at a claim circ 5-600, so probably will end up using his insurance company. Keep it simple, claim for what is broke, don't falsify any details or seek revenge. You really can't go on how people react post accident as a measure of the character. For most they are coping with primitive brain functions fueled by adrenalin. Yes he will probably change his story once he works out the cost, but if the facts are consistent with yours then his insurance company will settle quickly to avoid having to pay legal fees.

Both versions of the story result in blame being 100% on him as I assume you clipped his drivers side wing. So either he pulled out on top of you or you cut from the inner part to the outer part of the roundabout as you exited. You'll always cop liability if you try to overtake someone on the outside on a roundabout as its pretty obvious to all but the stupid that at some point the other vehicle will want to exit.

Carefully crop your photos to exclude the lack of pedal and rear reflectors before sending to his insurance.

Lots of good points here - re the latter - you can also get adhesive Amber reflective tape cheaply (e.g. from eBay) which I stick on the back of my pedals, cleats and the heels of my shoes and you could then retake the pics. You would be wise to do that just in case the insurers send a Loss Adjustor to inspect the damage. Probably unlikely in a claim of that size - especially if the bike shop verify the damage and costs - but best to be covered as DIY says.. Rest assured if the insurance company can find an excuse not to pay they won't!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Apparently most accidents happen close to where you live, which is why I always take the long way home.

Glad you came out of it in one piece.
  • diy wrote:

Lots of good points here - re the latter - you can also get adhesive Amber reflective tape cheaply (e.g. from eBay) which I stick on the back of my pedals, cleats and the heels of my shoes and you could then retake the pics. You would be wise to do that just in case the insurers send a Loss Adjustor to inspect the damage. Probably unlikely in a claim of that size - especially if the bike shop verify the damage and costs - but best to be covered as DIY says.. Rest assured if the insurance company can find an excuse not to pay they won't!

Sound advice, cheers.

FWIW, I had 2 lights on the rear (knog blinders, highly recommended btw) but they both somehow came detatched and I never re-attached for these pics. Also, no reflectors on the pedals, but my overshoes had reflective bits on them :)
  • I have no doubt you were lit up like a Christmas tree when this idiot didn't take the care/make the effort/have sufficient concentration etc etc to see you!!!

Best refit your lights and cover the legal reflective requirements though just in case! Don't mention them in the claim (claim for the damaged lights, batteries and brackets though if needed) unless it was dark at the time of the incident just have then available and in the photos to avoid giving them any wiggle (no offence or blame meant :D ) room to escape.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The reflectives on the bike don't matter. Photo what you were wearing too and a shot of the bike with lights on in the dark.

I'd expect some mumbling of 'how much' when he sees the price of a Ksyrium wheel. Also, if you can't get the same model year of wheel, get a pair (Mavic change specs quite a bit) ! They won't always match so you are entitled to them.
  • The bike is only 9 months old, everything is all 2013 stuff so sourcing matching replacements should still be relatively easy.

Bike has been dropped off at LBS this afternoon. Their initial impression was wheel, bars, forks, tire, tube, bar tape.

They've asked me to give them a couple of days to do a proper thorough inspection though.

Police have been back in touch again today too. They want me to go down tomorrow to take a statement off me.

Just a waiting game now :(
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Is discussing attempting to defraud an insurance company on a public forum a good idea?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • fossyant wrote:
    The reflectives on the bike don't matter.

Why do you say that? My understanding is that UK law requires all bikes to have a white reflector on the front, red on the rear and amber on the pedals. I thought that was why all bikes came that way at point of sale. If your bike wasn't legal I would expect an insurance company would be able to refuse to settle.
  • fossyant wrote:
    The reflectives on the bike don't matter.

Why do you say that? My understanding is that UK law requires all bikes to have a white reflector on the front, red on the rear and amber on the pedals. I thought that was why all bikes came that way at point of sale. If your bike wasn't legal I would expect an insurance company would be able to refuse to settle.

SO is this wrong?

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... egulations
    left the forum March 2023
  • Buckles wrote:
    Is discussing attempting to defraud an insurance company on a public forum a good idea?

Yes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I thought that was why all bikes came that way at point of sale.

Except that they don't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I thought that was why all bikes came that way at point of sale.

Except that they don't!

Sorry should have said that's why they come that way if sold to you by a retailer who doesn't want to be liable if you ride the bike the way they gave it to you and -

best case - you get stopped by police for being on an illegal bike and are pissed of at them for setting you up for that,

or, worst case

you ride away and are in an accident and sue them for sending you off on an illegal bike.

Check out Ugo's link as far as I know it's accurate.
  • Goodness me pissed of is allowed shurley shome mistake Ed as they say in private eye :D