Carbon Fibre Frame - Chipped Paint or Damaged?

RBS73
RBS73 Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi All - new to the forum and pretty new to road biking (only done around 500 miles to the bike is like new!).

Leant the bike up against a wall the other day while on a ride and when I returned to find what must have been the wind knocked it over causing the damage in the attached picture. I have taken it to my local shop and the mechanic was pretty certain it is just cosmetic and not structural damage but hearing the stories of instant failures regarding CF frames was just wondering what anyone else's opinion would be....

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Did he say why he was pretty certain it was only cosmetic? It looks like a hole from the picture...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • RBS73
    Yeah he just had a look and feel of it and said the carbon fiber is in tact and it's just superficial damage to the paint.

think that may just be the picture, there isn't a hole. The black bit is the just the deepest part of the damage, the majority of it is just paint flaking a bit.

Will try and get more pictures if it helps.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Tap it with a coin and listen to the sound. It'll change noticeably if the frame is structurally damaged. I know this from recent experience unfortunately.
  • RBS73
    it sounds the same as the rest of the frame so fingers crossed there is no damage, took it out for a ride yesterday and all seems well, hit one or two potholes and it hasn't changed whatsoever, will keep an eye on it I think.

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas how to sort it out cosmetically?
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    edited January 2014
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    Did he say why he was pretty certain it was only cosmetic? It looks like a hole from the picture...
    At times like these, most uncharitably on my part, I'm relieved that I ride a steel frame (albeit Reynolds 853) and don't have to worry excessively about such things.
    Regards
    Alan
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can't tell just by looking at it if it's cosmetic or not. Take it for an X-Ray for peace of mind

It's people like you clogging up A&E departments unnecessarily!
  • keef66 wrote:
    You can't tell just by looking at it if it's cosmetic or not. Take it for an X-Ray for peace of mind

It's people like you clogging up A&E departments unnecessarily!

:D