Swapping groupset to a new frame

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my Giant TCR to get a more relaxed geometry bike like a Cannondale Synapse or Trek Domane. As my Giant has an Ultegra groupset and some nice wheels, I was thinking of transferring them onto a new frame instead of getting a whole new bike. (Price is the main issue, as I can't afford a Synapse or Domane with the same level components as I currently have).

I've never done anything like this before, so I was after some advice as to what considerations I should take into account. I think that the main issue I might have is with the bottom bracket - according to Giant's website I currently have a press fit BB with 86.5mm shell. The Synapse has and FSA BB30 and the Domane has a BB90.
What would I need in order to fit my existing kit to one of these?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Assuming your crank is an Ultegra 6600 or 6700 you should just be able to make a straight swap to the Trek BB90 and you can get an adapter for the Synapse BB30. Also you may need to swap over the headset bearing race on the fork to fit a different headset bearing and check the seatpost diameters. Everything else should be a straight swap with only the length of your brake caliper mounting nuts being different (not likely but I can't say for sure) which is an inexpensive replacement. You may also need to get a different length handlebar stem depending on the fit of the new frame as well. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Here's an explanation of different BB fitting. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service
  • The main issue you'll face is getting hold of a Domane frame. I don't think they do them as a frameset new below the 6 series. If that's too rich for you then you'd be talking second hand.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's a 6700 groupset, so that should help. Thanks for the info regarding the BBs, hopefully the other parts will be a straight swap.

For the frame, my rather convoluted idea was to buy a Domane in the sale - I've seen one reduced from £1500 to £999 with a Tiagra groupset and some low end wheels. If I sold the groupset, wheels and my old Giant frame I could then put my kit on and I should just about break even. That's the theory anyway...
  • LOL, you know, before the Westbrook's sale on CR1's came along that was the same plan I had, buy a Domane 4.0 and strip it down and sell the parts and use the 105 groupset from my Trek Madone; although you were talking about a £1,500 outlay there.

For £999 it's not a bad plan really. Especially if you are prepared to put the effort in selling the groupset as seperates.