Switching chainset from standard 9sp to compact 10sp

Jlewis3
Jlewis3 Posts: 20
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hello,

I am currently running a 9 speed set-up on a standard double. I am planning a trip to Southern Spain In April and France in July so want to switch to a compact double.

I can only find 10sp compact doubles, will the 105 be compatible with 9 speed set-up?
Do I need to change the cassette?
Do I need to change the chain? If this is the case does it need to be 9 or 10sp, or doesn't it matter? I can only get DuraAce in 9 sp?

Many thanks for your help

Josh

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You can use a 10 speed compact crankset on a 9 speed setup - just fit the new crankset.

You'll probably need to drop the front mech and reset that - but the rest can stay the same - chain, cassette is all fine.
  • The Sora chainset is a 9 speed compact and should be easy to find for between £50-60 on the net.
    However, if you are happy with spending a little extra on the 105 chainset, it may be worthwhile in the long run.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Jlewis3 wrote:
    Hello,

I am currently running a 9 speed set-up on a standard double. I am planning a trip to Southern Spain In April and France in July so want to switch to a compact double.

I can only find 10sp compact doubles, will the 105 be compatible with 9 speed set-up? Yes
    Do I need to change the cassette? No
    Do I need to change the chain?No, but you'll probably want to take a couple of links out to shorten it- check the Park Tool website for info If this is the case does it need to be 9 or 10sp, or doesn't it matter? 10sp chains work on 9sp setups, but changing can be fractionally worse as the 10sp chain is narrowerI can only get DuraAce in 9 sp? What about SRAM (my personal favourites), Wipperman/Connex, KMC? All those 9sp chains will work if you do need a replacement, and they all come with "quick links" for easy removal. That way you can keep you curent chain with the standard chainset if you want to revert easily

Many thanks for your help

Josh

As stated above, the front mech will need lowering and the cable re-setting too.