GEAX tyres bargain shocker....

j_l
j_l Posts: 425
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got experience of Geax tyres, saw these on the planet x sale page, very DH orentated but for under a tenner and with all this mud about thought they might be worth a punt??

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYGEDHEA/g ... lding-tyre
I'm not old I'm Retro

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Looks a similar tread pattern to a Minion, which is very grippy. Heavy but I guess for a tenner you cant expect flyweight. I might have a punt before the end of the muddy season (August).
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Depends on what your using it for?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quite a lot of well priced Geax on there right now, the sagauro gets quite good reviews.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Depends on what your using it for?

general xc in the hills and hooning about in the muddy woods with me mates..... :D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Twelly
    Just ordered a DHEA and a Lobo Loco. Will report back when I get out at the weekend
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a Lobo Loco on the back of my hardtail. It's OK for the cash (was about £7 from Wiggle aeons ago, I not got it as a spare to throw in the car boot, but ended up putting it on), but a bit unpredictable at times.
  • Damn, no 29er's :(
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • Twelly
    Quick update on this: My tyres came through after 8 days, not the most spritely service from Planet X but the guy was very pleasant on the phone when I chased it yesterday. Just trying to fit them now to my crests... Do not buy a tubless DHEA if you are running Stans rims. It doesn't fit, whatever I do I can't get it on, I have no skin left on my hands, two misshapen tyre levers and my floor covered in hot soapy water yet still no tyre on my rim. Much worse than trying to get a Nobby Nic on, which I thought was bad enough...

Its a shame because the tyre feels like good quality and the triple compound feels very sticky so I had high hopes. I noticed on the packaging that Geax tyres are made by Vittoria, who have a very good reputation in the lycra-clad world.

About to have a go with the Lobo Loco, hopefully that will be a bit more forgiving as it is not tubeless ready.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try heating it up with a hair dryer for 5+ minutes. It was the only way I could get Hans Dampfs on my Crossmax STs.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Twelly
    Just managed to get the Lobo Loco on, went on fine, didn't even need a lever. I'll test that first on a few rides then try again with the DHEA and a hairdryer!