Cassette Adaptors

whitey161
whitey161 Posts: 110
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I've recently switche to a 1x10 drivetrain. I like it but i yearn for one extra gear for the climbs. I run a 33t front ring with 11-36 XT rear cassette. I can manage the climbs and i find i have plenty of top speed on my trails but i would really like a touch more range for some steeper climbs.

There are options. The One-Up cassette adaptor is ideal but its not available until the end of February which just seems so far away. I dont fancy the general lee adaptor as its just too expensive imo and i dont want to lose the 36t ring for a 33t.

So does anyone know of any other options, i think this sprt of thing will become more common from more manufacturers soon but i would really like something within the next couple of weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    3x10?
  • whitey161
    I like the simplicity of 1 x 10 plus the lightweight. As soon as i get the narrow/wide ring ill be dumping the chain guide too.
    Just want one extra gear, i know its doable just looking for alternative options.

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wait 6 weeks? Unlikely to kill you.

32t chain ring? You won't get a 33t narrow/wide, so that'll give you more at the bottom end.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PLEASE don't ask why you won't get a narrow wide 33T!

32T or possibly 30T seems to answer your requirements.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There's some guy on ebay been doing them for ages now; solid steel (single 42t cog weighs about the same as a whole cassette) and many reports of them bending though.
  • whitey161
    Yeah its ok i know i wont get a 33t narrow/wide. Ive got a 33t renthal ring up front.
    Ive just ordered one of these and will see how it rides befre deciding whether to go with 34t or 36t narrow/wide up front. Should give a nice range.

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why did you order a 33t when you're considering a 34t or 36t N/W, wouldn't one of those have made more sense...? :?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I run a 34t works components chainring, WolfTooth are bringing out a version, absolute black are doing a 40t version and I imagine there will be others too. Given what I've read on the OneUP adapter, depending on the bike it can be a bit of a bodge to set up, so I think a 40t would be better for current dérailleurs. I think we'll see something from Shimano at Sea Otter though, so it might be worth waiting a bit longer.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Sorry, why can't they make a narrow wide narrow chainring in 33t, and have a standard (non meshing) 33rd tooth? I doubt that would interfere with the chain retention significantly...
  • lawman
    Cqc wrote:
    Sorry, why can't they make a narrow wide narrow chainring in 33t, and have a standard (non meshing) 33rd tooth? I doubt that would interfere with the chain retention significantly...

Oh. Dear.

63c579ff6e51c5b716a2567fb801b5c0d84bcd52e6a8ccd0d4e204ed8b8f22ea.jpg
  • Cqc
    Yeah, I understand that the thick thin teeth can only be even, but couldn't they put a non specific tooth as the 33rd one?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cqc wrote:
    Yeah, I understand that the thick thin teeth can only be even, but couldn't they put a non specific tooth as the 33rd one?
    lawman wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

Oh. Dear.

63c579ff6e51c5b716a2567fb801b5c0d84bcd52e6a8ccd0d4e204ed8b8f22ea.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    Cqc wrote:

As the chain is goes in even steps between narrow and wide, so does the chainring if it's narrow/wide. Adding a normal tooth would just add a huge amount of fail. Tbh I use a 33t E-thirteen chainring on one bike and a 34t narrow/wide on the other, same cassette and I notice almost no difference between them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cqc wrote:
    so after that the 34th tooth (number one second time around) would need to be thin when it was thick (I could think of a comparison here) on the first rotation, are you taking the pee or setting out to look really really dumb?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cqc
    haha whoops :D
  • whitey161
    The 33t came on the bike so im happy with it for now.

I've gone ahead and ordered the one-up adaptor just gonna have to wait by the looks.