Is it dangerous to help a stranded Cyclist?

defiantoli
defiantoli Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
NO it's not. People passing by always came to my assistance when I had a problem before and I never killed any of them yet. Except that one guy who commented on my pink shorts. Shhh!

But Seriously...

Do you help people out on the road?

or

Have you ever been helped?

BikeBuddyRescue

Is a new app aiming to encourage cyclists in the local area to help each other out with problems like a flat tyre and no pump.

http://www.squidoo.com/bikebuddyrescue

https://www.facebook.com/BikeBuddyRescue

Yes. I am a new forum member.
Yes. This is of value to the community.
Yes. I am promoting this app.
No. It is not a scam.
Yes. I would love you to tell your friends about the app.

I

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    If I see a cyclist mith a mechanical I always ask if I can help. Most just have punctures but I've helped 5 or 6 people with more significant mechanicals in recent years.

When I've been mending my own punctures I would estimate that 60-70% of riders that pass ask if I need help.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Interesting - unfortunately the only time I needed help was the time my phone didn't have a signal ...

and then a cyclist came past, offered me a spare tube and I was on my way again...

I don't think you can make an app that boosts your signal reception!!
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I've offered help to every stranded cyclist I've seen. Gave a spare tube to someone I saw when out on Christmas day
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    If I can see someone is trying to fix something I'll offer help, or if I can see there's a flat tyre. Given up on asking people who are just pushing bikes as 99.5% of them are simply taking a breather (in my experience).

I've been surprised by the number of people who just sail past when I'm clearly trying to fix something. Maybe I just look awesomely competent? More likely is that it's during rush hour & people are getting to work.

My best was when my front forks snapped off altogether. I D-locked the front wheel to the frame so I could push/wheely the bike to the nearby LBS. Someone kindly asked if I needed the loan of a pump. Ho-hum
    I normally stop to help. It's amazing how little some folk can do for themselves. I saw a woman pushing a hired mountain bike because the chain had come off and she didn't know how to put it back on.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • You should of course offer help if you're passing. There doesn't need to be an app for it.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    You should have course offer help if you're passing. There doesn't need to be an app for it.

+1 I'll offer help if I see someone (although the last person I stopped to help was just having a fag).

But I can't see most people going out of their way or making a special journey to someone who doesn't have the right bits of kit... But maybe that's just me.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've donated patches, tubes and levers shortened broken chains and pulled derailleurs out of wheels when I've stopped to help people out. I'd like to think that's why when I had a major problem a driver pulled over and gave me a lift home. But karma is a load of BS. I don't see the need for an app, but an LBS could provide the service as an alternate revenue stream. I'd pay LBS prices if they would bring parts or a courtesy bike out in an emergency.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ALWAYS stop, most are just a minor mechanicals and I was on my way in seconds, one was a guy who'd come off quite badly and smashed his phone so I lent him mine to call fro the help he needed and waited until his wife arrived, I did stop for a young lady whose chain had come off at the rear and jammed between frame and 10th cog, dropped wheel out to free chain, popped it back and re-indexed the gears to prevent a repeat and followed her (that bit was no chore...) for 3 miles (1 mile out of my way) to make sure it was all OK.

Do as you would be done by.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I always offer help when out riding. Most of the time on the people have the right kit and experience to get on the way. I have fixed punctures, re-indexed derailleurs, converted bikes to single speed where the rear derailleur has broken, called ambulances for broken collarbones. I have always liked the offer of help when I have had to stop to fix something.

I read the original post and was wondering if someone had been mugged or something when they stopped to help. This element has made me think about looking at the situation more closely when stopping to offer help.