Alford sportive

Focus-rider
Focus-rider Posts: 126
Anyone know if this sportive is being run this year? Starts in alford transport museum. Did it last year and it was a cracking route and well organised. Think it's on the 17th may but it's not advertised yet on their website?

Comments

• Correct 17th May. I will be doing it again too....unless the Dons get to the cup final.

In 2012 the weather was absolutely sensational on what turned out to be the best day of the year. Last year the weather was shocking with really heavy rain and the temperature hovering around 0C at the top of the Lecht.

Glad that there is a couple of weeks before the Snow Roads (301km over much of the same hills) Last year it was the week after.

http://www.cyclosport.org/event/18-May- ... rtive.html
  • sorry I have looked at 2013 info....convinced it is the same weekend this year as i am sure I saw that online somewhere....will keep looking
  • Thanks for that and i to can only find info for the 2013. The weather was pretty rough last year especially going over the lecht. Im only planning on doing the 60 again this year as I have the etape the weekend before and then the 3pistes two weeks after, saying that this was a well organised sportive and a beautiful course, will be nice to do it again in better weather though
  • Confirmed as 17th May...got in touch with the organiser and he sent me the following link.

The Alford Sportive takes place on Saturday 17 May this year. Things are getting put into place just now.

If you want to get your entry in you can do so via the BC web site: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Mountains
  • That's great thanks for that, will definitely be entering
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Thanks for that and i to can only find info for the 2013. The weather was pretty rough last year especially going over the lecht. Im only planning on doing the 60 again this year as I have the etape the weekend before and then the 3pistes two weeks after, saying that this was a well organised sportive and a beautiful course, will be nice to do it again in better weather though

I'm doing Etape Loch Ness, Alford 100m then 3piste.

Do you think the 3pistes will be harder than Alford 100m?
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    As above, definitely going ahead on 17th May and online entry available BC system now. Run by our club (DTCC) and it's an excellent event, reasonable price, and profits go to 3rd world charity. I did the 100 miles 1st year and it was very tough due to the high winds. Did the 100km 2nd year, and that was tough due to the high speed our group rode at :-)! Last year I bailed out on the morning as the weather forecast was really grim.

I would expect the 3 pistes might be slightly harder again than the Alford 100m, as it also takes in Glenshee, Bridge of Brown and finishes up Cairngorm. The finish climb is tough enough after the Cairngorm 100 and that has a lot less climbing overall than the 3 Pistes.
  • I do think the 3pistes will be harder due to some of the climbs I know off, should be a cracking event. Im using the alford as a means just to keep the legs going after etape, saying that the 60 mile route is superb with a lovely climb near the lecht. Managed to convince a few other guys into it swell this year.