winter gloves

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all looking for a pair of gloves for extreme weather must be water&wind proof and be insulated enough to keep my hands warm in sub zero conditions.

my current gloves sealskinz are good for everything above 5c then my finger start to freeze.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth searching (the search facility works well). This came up a while ago with some chaps who get some syndrome that leads to cold hands giving some good advice based on experience. Personally, I use the DHB winter gloves in midwinter. They work very well but, like all gloves built that well, means they can only be worn sub 5 degrees or they are simply too warm. Also, a lot of winter gloves suffer from bulk and this can be a real problem on long rides (getting food out, etc.). Silk liners with autumn gloves are one suggestion I have seen but I haven't found the ideal answer yet for me...
  • Might be worth trying silk glove liners inside your Sealskins first- might be far cheaper than spending $$$ on a new set of gloves? They are supposed to make a significant difference in warmth.
  • Funny this topic came up as went on ride today and fingers fell off.

I'm wearing the seal skin ones with leather palms which are great but not very warm.

Im going to try a smaller skintight glove inside and see how that goes.
    Personally though mtf... Lol.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I've been through a few pairs of gloves looking for cost-effective, warm, comfy. I have some 3mm neoprene Btwin gloves from Decathlon that are great in the wet, keep you warm down to about 2 but you get sweaty inside them. They are a bit clumsy and stiff to use the gears effectively.
    I have some of the sealskins fluorescent yellow ones with merino wool lining that are great down to about 4 or 5, and very comfy. I bought some £30 padded gloves that were too bulky to use on a bike but were very warm, then I got some £4.99 inners from decathlon and wear them inside a pair of normal mtb gloves. They are really warm, not too bulky and very comfy, better than the more expensive bulky gloves I've tried. By far my preferred option but not waterproof. The search continues.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Sealskinz have a merino liner glove in their range. I use them inside a pair of Specialized neoprene winter gloves, they are not to bulky, I find them quite cosy.
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... tAod-DoAWQ

I've been looking at lobster gloves online and they get good reviews, any one use them? These north wave gloves look good because they have a separate index finger to keep shifting easy.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I tried loads and eventually found giro proof, they are a bit bulky but you get used to them, lovely and warm at zero degrees and your hands don't get wet in them like all my other gloves.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Give Meraklon liner gloves a try under your Sealskins before shelling out on another expensive pair of winter gloves. Only a fiver at http://www.climbers-shop.com/9920067/products/meraklon_liner_glove.aspx

I used them in the army for years, usually just by themselves without an outer glove down to about 2 degrees or so. Absolutely brilliant for the money and they are so thin you keep dexterity. You can't wear them down to that kind of temperature on a bike without an outer as the wind will cut through them and cool your hands. I wear them down to about 7-8 degrees without outers quite happily. I would be interested to hear how they perform under Sealskins if you get some as I bought a pair of Under Armour winter gloves last winter which to be honest aren't great even over the Meraklon liners.

PP
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    With hands its no different to the rest of the body. Layers.

Silk liner, thin over glove, thick glove. If things are really wet and its cold then I put on a latex type glove over the silk liner. And the beauty of all this you are not spending £150 on assos gloves, you can get this lot at the market for £15.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its sub zero - then the lanes will be icy so I'll be off road. I swear by a pair of mittens - they're meant to be golf mittens but are the warmest things I've had. The MTB has grip shift so I dont need separate fingers.

For temps down to 4 degrees or so - the £5 gloves from Aldi with reflective trim on (why is it that proper cycling kit often skimps on reflectives ?) work well and I can treat myself to a new pair for each winter.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've been using these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/salomon-mens ... 84690.html for the last couple of months and I'd recommend them. They're super warm and made from Goretex so are fairly waterproof. They're a bit thick, but I haven't really had any bother because of that. Fingers can get a bit sweaty but hands are always warm which is the main thing.