Edge 510. Garmin Connect to Strava problems.

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Evenin all (went to post this in Road General but it wouldn't let me)??

I've got myself an Edge 510 and set it all up no problems. I've sorted garmin connect and got the app for my phone to upload my rides.

I would however prefer to use Strava over GC. I have linked Copymysports (formerly garminsynch) to Strava and confirmed its in the 'my apps' bit in the settings. Now I have read the FAQ on copy my sports, and they say they aim to Upload the info in 15 minutes but there is usually a delay in doing so, but it is now a good three hours and still nothing.

Now I would like to get this sorted as I'd rather do the whole thing wirelessly and automatically, but it's not behaving as of yet. Anyone else have such problems? Is there usually such a delay? Even if it was several hours I wouldn't mind as long as I knew it was doing it.

I have also looked on GC on the 'export file' tab, but - bearing in mind I'm using and ipad - it just says 'safari can't download file'

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i have exactly the same problem with my garmin 810
    the only way i can get it to put my rides on strava is to go into copy my sports again and redo the set up. it then puts the ride on automatically.

but same problem again on the next ride. it just wont do it by itself, i have to set up again every time
    but it just wont do it by itself
    would love it to work but it just wont
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Rhod81
    Rhod81 Posts: 116
    Right, well I've got it to transfer (instantly, I might add... So much for a 15 minute delay!)

As you said Pinarellokid, I re-set up copymysports. The one thing I did do that was different from before was to check both the boxes under the 'connect to strava' icon. Normally, I make a point of I checking such things for fear of getting hit with spam, but if you read the little, tiny 'info' icon next to the check boxes, it does really sound like you need them on...

I'll have to see if it works next ride, or whether I have to redo the sign up process with copymysports. Again.
  • pinarellokid
    i have to do it each time.

no matter which of the boxes are ticked im afraid

id pay for it to work by making a donation if it actually worked
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• pinarellokid
    what does everyone else do ??

do you all plug the cable in and do it the old fashioned way??

was hoping by not taking the waterproof bung off all the time it would stay waterproof longer.

only use that port for charging on mine

• andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I can't get it to work either, might see if there's an email address to ask about it.
  • I take mine off the bike every time and plug it into my computer. That way it gets charged as well.

I upload via a browser plugin. Just a matter of installing then clicking the upload button at Garmin connect and or Strava.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    nigeldoyle wrote:
    I take mine off the bike every time and plug it into my computer. That way it gets charged as well.

I upload via a browser plugin. Just a matter of installing then clicking the upload button at Garmin connect and or Strava.

+ Golden Cheetah and Training Peaks :D
  • pinarellokid
    nigeldoyle wrote:
    I take mine off the bike every time and plug it into my computer. That way it gets charged as well.

the idea for me is to not keep removing the waterproof plug.

should last longer in theory

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    nigeldoyle wrote:

Same here. No issues with the port cover getting damaged so this is does not cause me any issues.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've just got CopyMySports working and so far have successfully uploaded 3 rides automatically without issue.

First problem was that I needed to remove and reinstall my Garmin Connect Mobile app as seemed to be stuck downloading some past rides and my 510 could not sync to it. The GCM app seems to take much longer to check for new rides when downloading than it needs to.

My Garmin Connect rides were private so for CopyMySports to work, I had to change my privacy setting to Me + Connections for both default setting for new rides and the test ride then connect one of the special CopyMySports users as per the instructions on the web site. Only then could I authorise CMS for Strava access.

Seems CMS will upload to Strava within an hour which may or may not be acceptable. One minor issue is that the Garmin recorded temperature will not be copied across due to a limitation in the TCX file format used for the export/import.

I'll keep trialling this, but if it starts to go wrong, I'll just go back to manually uploaded the fit file by browsing to the Garmin activities folder: I find the browser plugin far too slow no matter how many activities I have on my device. I don't think overuse of the rubber USB cover is really a valid issue.
  • Try
    https://tapiriik.com/

Garminsync/copymysports is terrible, its a lottery if it uploads at all and is so unreliable. I like many other people would happily pay a fee every month/year for a good service.