Shimano Chainset and Chain advice

sark716
sark716 Posts: 45
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I am thinking of upgrading the chainset on my Trek 2.1 2012 road bike.

It currently has a Shimano R565 compact chainset with 105 changer and other 10 speed parts.

I was wondering if I got a Ultegra chainset would I need to buy another chain, and if I did would I need to change the cassette aswell ?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Not unless your chain is severely worn.

I doubt you'll notice any difference by upgrading though.
  • sark716
    Thats what I thought. The main reason for the upgrade is so I can use the old chainset to upgrade my winter bike, which is a Trek 1.1. I got a spare Hollowtech bottom bracket I'm going to use.
  • You won't need to buy a new chain if you get the 10 speed Ultegra chainset (or even if you get the 11 speed).

However; it's often a good idea to change your chain anyway, and upgrading the chainset is a good time to do it.

PS. I'm also considering doing the same thing; going from R565 to Ultegra. I know it won't make a massive difference but I've never really liked the R565.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    However; it's often a good idea to change your chain anyway, and upgrading the chainset is a good time to do it.

Why?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • If the chain is worn.
  • sark716
    Incase anyone is following this. The Ultegra is a straight swap. The main difference is a smoother gear change.

Converting the 1.1 to h2 from square taper is a different tale. I couldn't get the old chainset off, and managed to strip the threads on the drive side. So the bike is at the LBS having the chainset and bottom bracket removed. Hopefully will be done tomorrow.
  • sark716
    Just to give an update. Job all done. Both bikes upgraded. Just need to take the winter bike out to see if there is any marked improvements to the ride. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow evening.
  • sark716
    This is the final update.

Been out on the winter bike. The upgraded chainset and bottom bracket worked a treat. Really smooth and quiet gear changes, quick turn of speed when pushing the pedals. And more than a minute shaved off my time.

Job done. Next upgrade in the spring will be new wheels.