Movement in handlebars

Tryfan2003
Tryfan2003 Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello I have a 2011 specialized fsr camber comp mtb. I have recently had issues with my handlebars not being in line with the wheel. If I stand with my front wheel between my legs to hold straight and then move handlebars they move without much friction at all which has caused the handlebars to move off centre whilst riding on trails.
I have took my bike in for a service and advised about this problem and they cleaned the bearing apparently and tightened up the two Allen key bolts at the back of the stem.
This seemed to put a bit more friction in e bars before they moved but when riding they still move off centre if going over bumps/jumps etc.
I have tried tightening the two bolts further but this doesn't appear to have Made much difference. I took the end cap of the headset and when again putting the wheel between my legs and trying to turn the handlebars I could see that the actual tube? that goes toward the fork is also turning with the handlebars.

How can I stop this from moving.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    New forks. If the steerer tube is turning with the handlebars but the forks aren't then the steerer tube isn't attached correctly to the top of the fork.
  • I'm guessing this is something that cannot be re-attached?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either the steerer is turning in the fork and the forks are scrap, or the stem isn't gripping the steerer properly, may be worth stripping it off and cleaning it up in case there is grease in there, then retightening.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have tried stripping and cleaning and sadly still moves, starting to accept that will need new forks. How do I go about buying forks? Obviously aware of the travel but there are many other measurements listed on most for sale. How do I know my requirements?

Thanks in advance
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does the steerer actually turn in the yoke with the forks off?

I would have them checked by someone who knows what they're talking about before you lash out on a new pair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools