Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• Angel1
    Angel1 Posts: 55
    Very cool to train on the beach! You would have no option but to clean the bike after though! Not a concern for Vos I suppose.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's a whole series of beach races in the Netherlands. e.g. http://www.aguegmondpieregmond.nl/ , http://www.mtbbeachrace.nl/
    Not much else to do with a mountainbike there :?

First one in the UK this year: http://www.battleonthebeach.co.uk/
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Looks great, but you would not want to be riding on someones wheel with all that wet sand flying.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Only a nation as weird as the Dutch could invent something so masochistic as Beach Racing! *shudder*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Cyclocross, through mud and cowsh#t, is alright - but beach racing on sand isn't ?
  • ddraver
    At least CX only lasts an hour...
    - @ddraver
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    Those bikes look fun though - wouldn't mind giving it a go...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I like it but then I do MTB during autumn/winter including some flat races on a fine-gravel surface, so not unlike a beach. As Mike6 mentioned, being on someone's wheel can be a problem, in fact one's own front wheel can be a even bigger problem if you have no mudguard.
    Good to see there is now a similar race in the UK and perhaps someone enterprising could bring another to a more populated location with a prom or a pier for spectators, e.g. through the Gormley statues on Crosby beach, or maybe at Cleethorpes or Tynemouth or even Bournemouth.
  • ddraver
    It's not at all like MTBing though is it...
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ddraver wrote:
    It's not at all like MTBing though is it...
    Yes it is, at least at non-professional level.
    If you've not done MTB races then perhaps you won't know - not all MTB races are about steep rock-surfaced climbs and routes through woods on earth paths, jumping over tree roots the size of your thigh, descending down slopes with stones the size of your head, and crossing uneven fields full of cowpats (all of which I've also done).
    Many are to do with endurance on flat routes with muddy/stoney surfaces (so like beaches).
    Same with CX (even in Belgium) - many CX races there (at amateur level) are flattish gravel-surfaced courses, with only short stretches of grassy slope where you have to carry the bike.
  • ddraver
    I have done MTB races, even 24hr ones. I Agree with you about the endurance (it's all cycling at the end of the day), but I'd say it's a lot closer to a flat Eneco Tour stage.

Finally XCO is starting to become races through woods/trees/stones though! Even the Dutch MTB courses!
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I would like to see them try that at Brighton beach.

Someone had to say it. it's not funny but some posters will think it is and I wanted to get in first in a sort of ironic sad way and now they will realise that it's not that funny if you get me.

I may add that someone will now say they rode Brighton beach on a full suspension bike. woooppppppeeeeee dooo
    well done.

I would very much like to ride on the beach with Vos etc is another one so far omitted.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    rayjay wrote:

Someone had to say it. it's not funny but some posters will think it is and I wanted to get in first in a sort of ironic sad way and now they will realise that it's not that funny if you get me.

I may add that someone will now say they rode Brighton beach on a full suspension bike. woooppppppeeeeee dooo
    well done.

I would very much like to ride on the beach with Vos etc is another one so far omitted.

You could start an argument in an empty room.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • I'd guess that with beach racing the trick is to find the sweetspot between the water and the over-dry sand, where the sand is still firm but not waterlogged. For Vos the tactic would also be to draft behind strong muscle-heads until they tire and then jump across to the next group.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Timoid. wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

well done.

You could start an argument in an empty room.

What are you on about? How am I starting an ,,, doh