1x10, 2x10 or 3x10 ?

garethjones
garethjones Posts: 57
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered alot before, but I am looking to make a change to my cotic soul and am really confused where to go with it. I have one bike which I use for a 5 day weekly road commute and then every other weekend or so for single track. My fitness is pretty good and I enjoy climbing, currently have a 3x9 setup with 11-32 cassette.

1x10
- love the simplicity, weight saving etc, but would I really miss the gears (thinking top end) on the road? I really don't wan't to add time to my commute. I top out at 35mph at the moment and in sections can average 20+, I am guessing this will drop significantly with a 1 x 10?

2x10
- Is the only advantage here a tiny bit of weight saving? You have to keep the left shifter, front derailleur. Would a lose a lot of road speed? I am not worried about climbing with 2x10 just flat and downhill tarmac.

3x10
- I know this will work for me and give me the option to ride anywhere as I do want to do a bit of light touring at some point.

thanks!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do nothing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do nothing.
    This.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Leave as is.
  • Ha ha! Would do, but i trashed my durrailuer and shifters and my cassette is well worn. Seems like a good time to move
  • Chunkers1980
    Why not give all the info first up. I'd replace like for like, but 10 at the rear if I only had the one bike.
  • cooldad
    So 3xsomething if it's mainly commuting.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I would say for you leave it as 3x9 if it's only the front derailleur that's ruined as rear derailleurs cos and for commuting it's the best option... But switch to a 11-34t cassette if you are replacing it anyway. For the record, 2x10 you never don't have the right gear for downhill Tarmac, as you put in a 38t ring as the top one. And again depending on your chainring size choice for 1x10, you never necessarily spin out on the road if you have a 36 or 38t up front, but you'd have to be made of steel...
  • Chunkers1980
    Cqc wrote:
    I would say for you leave it as 3x9 if it's only the front derailleur that's ruined as rear derailleurs cos and for commuting it's the best option... But switch to a 11-34t cassette if you are replacing it anyway. For the record, 2x10 you never don't have the right gear for downhill Tarmac, as you put in a 38t ring as the top one. And again depending on your chainring size choice for 1x10, you never necessarily spin out on the road if you have a 36 or 38t up front, but you'd have to be made of steel...

What?
  • cooldad
    Cqc wrote:

WTF?
    Fixed that for you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cqc wrote:

I'll have a go at this... You can run various ratios on 2x10, so it's a bit of a moot point. Personally I'd have 2x rather than 3x as just have no use for a 22 or 24t inner, so I'd go for 28/42 or similar. YMMV, but you can certainly fit bigger than a 38t. I'd not go 1x10 in the OPs position, I run a 36t single ring, and find it under geared on the road. For versatility I'd be looking at double or triple.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    stay with the triple at the front and go 10sp SLX

I use my bike for commuting and need the 44t chain ring - got a an 11-34 at the back