Tyres that can handle a bit of ice?

2»

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

Yes - the Marathon W***ers are unbelievably heavy - close to a kilo each! And with only 120 studs I think that's poor return for the weight[...]

Not so - 240 for the 700c tyres; fewer on the 26, 24 & 20" diameter ones - see Peter White's page. Certainly no lightweight, but then it's all good exercise/winter training.

Maybe only 120 on the non-Marathon, as they're just on the centre section?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    DrLex wrote:

Yes - the Marathon W***ers are unbelievably heavy - close to a kilo each! And with only 120 studs I think that's poor return for the weight[...]

Not so - 240 for the 700c tyres; fewer on the 26, 24 & 20" diameter ones - see Peter White's page. Certainly no lightweight, but then it's all good exercise/winter training.

Maybe only 120 on the non-Marathon, as they're just on the centre section?

I saw that though I'm pretty sure the Marathon Winters I had were only 120 studs so maybe they've upgraded to create two tiers of winter tyre. I did also see that some sizes of Marathon Winter are nearly 1.3kg :shock: WTF!!!
    I'd still ALWAYS go with Ice Spiker Pros on an MTB. 2 reasons - incredible grip and hydraulic brakes that won't freeze! Oh, and the studs don't fall out by the handful on the Pros either. I got bored of refitting studs to my MWs
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Whatever their exact weight, they were a boon this morning as I passed the scene of two accidents (& resultant queues of vehicles) on my commute. MTB'er on knobblies that I met at one blockage had already had one spill. :(
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I hugely underestimated the risk of ice this morning. Halfway into my 11 mile rural commute I had a couple of back wheel slides, then was unceremoniously dumped on my derrière twice in rapid succession. Ended up walking quite a lot of it. I'm now the proud owner of less blood than before, and it's already beginning to hurt.

What's more annoying is I have a couple of choices of spiked tyres in my garage...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Portobello prom was more than a little icy this morning too. Was attempting to keep the bike upright using extreme but-cheek clenching. Never notice the camber of the path there unless it's icy, but when it is you just seem to be riding in a straight line, but getting closer and closer to the sea wall, and there's little you can do about it.

Again, I have a MTB in the garage which is all spiked and ready (Nokian W106's this year).
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    davis wrote:
    I hugely underestimated the risk of ice this morning. Halfway into my 11 mile rural commute I had a couple of back wheel slides, then was unceremoniously dumped on my derrière twice in rapid succession. Ended up walking quite a lot of it. I'm now the proud owner of less blood than before, and it's already beginning to hurt.

What's more annoying is I have a couple of choices of spiked tyres in my garage...

Doh!
    I came out on my 32mm flackjacket "slicks" this morning - our side road was a little crunchy and I thought - well, it'll be ok when I get to the mainroad, that'll be salted/gritted ..

Hmm ... not it wasn't! Less than a mile in and the back wheel had slipped 3 times - sod that, pull over, wait for a big gap in the traffic - slipped across the road and rode carefully back home - changed and got the car out instead.

I'll put the studded tyres/wheels on next time we have overnight rain followed by a frost!!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My rule of thumb was "ice on the car - ice on the road" - then I'd take the MTB with Spikers. My roads were untreated and I also went through quite some elevation as soon as I left the house. It was a pain sometimes but better safe than sorry. And, on one or two days, when I ignored the rule I regretted it with big rear wheel slides just under power
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    against all my normal rules I rode this morning on crunchy ice the whole 15 miles to the station, fwiw I'm using Conti grand prix 24mm now replaced by the 25mm which funny enough are identical.

Road_application_2013_large.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    snowtires_660.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    cesco wrote:
    snowtires_660.jpg
    Doesn't work with rim brakes!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sure it does. Really, really quickly
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.