Gaint defy 2 vs defy 5

Gaint89
Gaint89 Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been riding a mountain bike for the past year, and finally decided to get a road bike. I found a 2011 Gaint defy 2 with less than 100 miles and has a wireless speedo installed and can get it for roughly $550-600 shipped. The other one i'm looking at is a brand new 2014 Gaint defy 5 since they changed some components that seem to make it a good bit better than the 2013. The price on those are around $700-750 after tax. I don't know a lot about the components and stuff to figure out which would be a better buy. It seems like the changes made to the 2014 defy 5 make it close to the 2011 defy in terms of quality. I'd prefer not to spend anymore than I have to.

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Get the defy 2 is my opinion. Better spec even with the 2014 improvements - only advantage to a new bike would be the warranty. That and the joy of having a new toy that nobody else has defiled!
  • Well from what I can tell, the defy 2 looks brand new. I noticed the frame is a little different but I don't know if it is lighter than the defy 5.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    The frame on the defy 2 is basically the same as the defy 5, the main differences being the carbon fibre forks and the drive train. If it looks brand new it's a no brainier in my mind! Spend less for more of a bike and enjoy the ride :)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    The 2014 Defy 0 and 1 have Aluxx SL double butted frames, the Defy 2, 3, 4 and 5 have Aluxx single butted Frames.

See Giant's website Technology/Aluxx for full frame details. Previous Years models may be different to this.
  • Thanks for the help. I bought the Defy 2 last night. Hopefully it will be a lot better than the Gaint boulder se MTB I have now, even though it has street tires.