Bike buying advice please.

davidefernandes
davidefernandes Posts: 54
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a new bike, narrowed it down to two. Both Ribble, the 7046 sportive alloy or the evo pro carbon. The components I'm putting on are going to the very similar if not the same I just can't decide between the two.

I use the bike every day, hoping to do 10,000km this year.

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Just wondering why you recommend Ali rather than carbon, where does 10k a year influence this, will carbon be degraded in some way over that distance? Don't make such ridiculous statements without at least trying to justify them, otherwise your view is worthless, and why have you recommended the Carbon 365 in your previous sentence...
  • thanks Oxoman for the advice, will bear in mind the ali/carbon. I am keeping my old bike for the wet days so hope this will negate the need for mudguards.

I have a couple more options now! ha

Looking at the Cube Peleton Race 2014, http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-peleto ... sting=true

the Dolan Etape, http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bi ... -bike.html

or the Giant Defy, http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-defy- ... sting=true

It will be one of these three or the ribble curved, all roughly a grand when components added.
  • or maybe if i'm really nice to the mrs,
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-agree- ... sting=true
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dolan Etape looks a good option with a big choice of manufacturer components available.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Dolan Etape looks a good option with a big choice of manufacturer components available.

yeah I've read a lot of good things about the Veloce set as an entry level set up, and the wheels on the dolan seem pretty good as well.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    You can go for SRAM, Shimano or Campag groups and upgrade on wheels if you feel like it, a massive choice of options IMO.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oxoman wrote:
    The reasoning behind the Ali bit is that im thinking that ali frame / finish would hold up better against general wear / tear and knocks against carbon. I know from bitter experience that not everyone respects your nice carbon bike in the bike sheds when they get their bikes out.

What bike sheds?
    Why does Ali stand up better to knocks? Would it not dent?
    Are you saying people attack your bike because it is carbon?
    If his bike was disrespected would Ali be better because it is hardier or just because he would not care as much about it because it was only Ali?
  • Carbonator wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    The reasoning behind the Ali bit is that im thinking that ali frame / finish would hold up better against general wear / tear and knocks against carbon. I know from bitter experience that not everyone respects your nice carbon bike in the bike sheds when they get their bikes out.

What bike sheds?
    Why does Ali stand up better to knocks? Would it not dent?
    Are you saying people attack your bike because it is carbon?
    If his bike was disrespected would Ali be better because it is hardier or just because he would not care as much about it because it was only Ali?

This. If this is the primary concern, better to opt for gaspipe. At least if you crash it then it won't matter much. :lol:

Both aluminium (Ali?) and carbon fibre can fail suddenly following damage; some makers specify a service life for aluminium frames. If you crash a bike made from either, you should be equally concerned.
  • Mickyg88 wrote:
    Don't make such ridiculous statements without at least trying to justify them

He did justify them, saying if you need a bike to ride every day get proper mudguards fitted. All the carbon frames I've had are a squeeze or no go for 'proper' mudguards.

Something like the CAAD10 or Canyon AL would be ideal.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles