Is this "carbon" fork too good to be true?

Broomiester
Broomiester Posts: 12
edited January 2014 in The workshop
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a fixie for as cheap as possible for commuting ect and just wondering if this insanely priced "Carbon Fork" is too good to be true, and if so is it still worth going for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Road-Bike-Car ... 3cd58d1357

I think I already know the answer but gotta have hope!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Looks OK, you may get stung on import duty. And are you going to trust a bargain basement fork when you're haring it down a big hill?
  • To be honest using it as a commuter fork I doubt I'll be using it for anything too vigorous. Just wanted to check with you guys first! Thanks for your advice once again!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not had a problem with any of my Taiwan/HK/China direct buys, 560g is good but not worryingly light, personally I'd go for it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    I'd avoid any unbranded carbon personally. It is your safety - no matter what use for your bike - if the fork goes the result is the same you will hit the deck hard.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most cheaper parts are just the same ones branded, my carbon seatpost is the same an exotic carbon one, cost me half as much!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Been riding an unbranded carbon fork from China for maybe 7 years now? So light (330g) that when I get my carbon bike I switched it for the carbon / alloy forks my new bike came with. Not had any problems with it. Cost about £60 at the time.