Should I get a tablet?

man2wolf
man2wolf Posts: 70
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
I already have a laptop so is there any real need for a tablet?
I use it mainly for email and web browsing.
If anyone can recommend any guides/advice to explain to me in layman's terms what I can do with a tablet that I cant with my laptop I'd much appreciate it.
I don't want to go into Curry's and have a snotty nosed teenage geek make me look stupid!
Thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Google says http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/12/10-reasons-to-buy-a-tablet-and-5-reasons-not-to/

(It's an old article though).

I don't think anyone ever /needs/ a tablet. They're quite handy, much more portable than laptops (but not as useful), more useable than smart phones (but not as portable).

7" or 10" ?

Android / iOS? (How much cash have you got?)

We've got a 7" Google Nexus, quite useful on the sofa and much more so on your travels.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    vs. a decent laptop, tablets...

weigh less
    are simple to use/maintain
    are less powerful
    have smaller screens
    are far less flexible

aside from screen size, a tablet may not do any more than a smartphone, which you probably have anyway

if you don't need the power/flexibility of a laptop, a tablet is fine, otherwise you'll end up having to use both - umpteen people at work (global tech firm) have flirted with them, been laughed at for carrying both (because the tablet can't hack it), stopped carrying them, all have smartphones, much more convenient

have to confess i'm tempted by kindle, i got the gf one, the screen is great for reading, saves the weight/bulk of books when flying
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • If you don't have one already, you don't knead one.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    There was a thread on here a while back where someone had won one in a raffle and wanted to know what he could use it for. The best way to approach it is from the other side - what do you want to do, and what's the best tool. For instance, it would be handy for me to have a dedicated email and iPlayer gadget that isn't anyone's phone, can be left on most of the time, will fit in a drawer and can be plugged into the TV, so one of these days I might get one of those cheap 'n' cheerful Tesco ones. So ask yourself: what do you need to do?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Nah - until you get one you don't realise how useful they are. Instant access to the net, to email, to Twitter, to a quick game of Soduko, take a quick photo of something & send it to whoever wants it, easy portability, decent quality screen, watch TV on it when the family are occupying the main telly, use it to control your audio stream from the NAS to the hi-fi, easy sized calculator, Dropbox, iPlayer, Youtube... blah blah.

Nobody needs a tablet, like no-one needs a carbon bike. Once you have one though they become incredibly useful. OP - if you fancy getting one, go out & buy one. You won't regret it, and you don't have to justify it by using it only for serious worthy things. You save a fortune by almost never using the PC again too.
  • I bought the Mrs a Nexus 7 when they came out, not really thinking it would be that useful, but she couldn't think what she wanted for her birthday. It is now the most used computer in the house, so easy and quick to use. The kids also have tablets, so just me to catch up....
    For browsing the net, sending emails etc it is ideal.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Bought a Samsung Tab 3 a couple of weeks before Christmas. Haven't been on the home computer since. Even Mrs Z who has never used the home computer uses it from time to time.

Also useful for taking to the pub when Mrs Zs got her head in the Sunday papers and I'm sat there wondering why I'm buying her drinks and being ignored when I could be being ignored at home and saving myself a small fortune.

Much better than surfing on the phone, and it fits in Mrs Zs handbag easily.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    I faced the same dilemma a while ago but bought a nexus 7 anyway. As others have said great for an instant pick up and check email etc, also of note that no one has mentioned is that in many cases content is served up far more engagingly and appealingly on a tablet through a well known website’s corresponding app, two examples that spring to mind are BBC and imdb. Also with various apps like pulse or flipboard you can amalgamate multiple sources into a far more digestible format than using the native websites.

They are great on flights and when travelling for watching movies. Battery life is WAY better than on most laptops.

One thing to consider on the ipad vs android debate is that with an android you can get a cable that allows you to read USB sticks and SD cards, which you can’t do on an ipad.

They are pretty limited when it comes to doing proper work but there is no replacement for a decent laptop or, even better, desktop for that.

If you want to read books get a dedicated ereader, eink is FAR better than an LCD screen.
  • man2wolf wrote:
    If anyone can recommend any guides/advice to explain to me in layman's terms what I can do with a tablet that I cant with my laptop I'd much appreciate it.
    I don't want to go into Curry's and have a snotty nosed teenage geek make me look stupid!
    Thanks

Yes.

You can then get rid of your laptop.

Laptops are overkill for email and browsing.

In laymans terms they are easier to use, last longer on battery, and the vast array of applications will allow you to do things that you will end up doing loads of that right now you do not even ever think about.

Ask no more questions. Buy an iPad.
  • man2wolf wrote:
    Thanks

Nope
    Nothing if your main uses are email and browsing
    When your laptop needs replaced consider a tablet but I wouldn't worry that you are missing out on something life changing, because you're not.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Lithium tablets. Works for me.

I used to be unstable then they gave me Lithium, now i'm quite happy living in a stable.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    I use the laptop for creating documents (work/MBA) and the iPad for reviewing and posted rubbish on the net.

Wouldn't be without either now
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    We managed without a computer for the vast majority of last year, just using the Nexus 7 I had bought the wife for Christmas.

Then we bought a new camera, and I bought a Garmin. Both needed a computer/laptop to use so we bought a sub-£300 laptop. Seems to be the perfect mix now. The wife uses the tablet and I prefer to use the laptop.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    We got given a hand-be-down ipad at christmas. It's brilliant. Things it does really well:

- quick internet lookups
    - Sky+ remote
    - Sonos remote
    - TV guide
    - Thing to watch while on the turbo.

Laptop has stayed upstairs since we got it.
    Insert bike here:
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    Big plus for me is that you can use a tablet in bed and with the light off (so the wife can sleep) unlike a paper book. It can be good to unwind with a quick game/check on facebook/etc. With headphones I could catch up on some TV too, but very rarely bother.

As people have said, a tablet doesn't do that much more than a smart phone, but it does it for a lot longer (better battery) and bigger.
    Good for "consuming content", web browsing and the odd email. Great when travelling. But if I have to do real work, it's the laptop.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Tablets are so last year, get yourself a suppository :shock:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • pinno
    natrix wrote:

Innuendo?
  • tlw1
    natrix wrote:

Innuendo?

yours rather than mine! :)
  • pinno
    matthew h wrote:
    natrix wrote:

Innuendo?

yours rather than mine! :)

Friend or enema?
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    mpatts wrote:
    We got given a hand-be-down ipad at christmas. It's brilliant. Things it does really well:

- quick internet lookups
    - Sky+ remote
    - Sonos remote
    - TV guide

This ^^^^^^ plus it's also great when travelling.

I'm using mine to reply to this thread whilst laying on my sofa with Midsummer Murders on in the back ground :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • tlw1
    mpatts wrote:

- quick internet lookups
    - Sky+ remote
    - Sonos remote
    - TV guide

This ^^^^^^ plus it's also great when travelling.

I'm using mine to reply to this thread whilst laying on my sofa with Midsummer Murders on in the back ground :D

I'm on the laptop - just meant to be doing the referencing on an assignment and having a break - whilst the wife watches the drivel of Midsummer Murders
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Lol....I've just noticed that this episode is filmed about 10 mins from my house !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • craker wrote:
    We've got a 7" Google Nexus, quite useful on the sofa and much more so on your travels.
    +1 for this device.

Really useful for watching tv around the house via sky go, 4od and the like. Also useful for music as you can share you pc music with tablet or android phone etc. over your domestic wifi.

Had mine for over a year now and still get some use out of it every day.