width of tyres

willarbuckle
willarbuckle Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I have this bike: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2

Which has hybriddy tyres installed. 26 / 1.95

I'd like to buy a pair of off-road tyres soon and was wondering if I need to make sure that the width is the same? OR can I generally purchase tyres that are 2.0+ ?

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    2.1 should be ok, I wouldn't go any wider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Subway's basically a rigid forked mountain bike so you've got more room to maneuvre than you would with many hybrids. The best thing you can do is get out the ruler tbh- pop off a tyre and measure the inside width of the rim to make sure it's not crazily narrow, and also measure how much clear space you have around the tyre, in the frame and in the fork

What makes it a bit tricky is that tyre sizes are largely cobblers- measured with a rubber ruler. So you can get a Maxxis 2.35 which is actually about 2.1 across, or a kenda 2.35 which is exactly 2.35 across, one might work well and the other not. It is a pain and no easy way around it as there's not even any consistency within brands (Maxxis's swampthing is almost exactly the same width whether it says 2.35 or 2.5, and their 2.25 Advantage is wider than a 2.35 Minion, for example. Conti's old Mountain King 2.4 is narrower than a 2.2 Rubber QUeen)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Subway uses the same frame as the same year hard tail MTB's, anything upto a 2.25 will fit, above that some makes tyres will be too wide for the chainstay gap. I run 2.25 schwalbe with no problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I took a tyre off and the inner rim measured 21mm. Hopefully that's no abnormal? I've just ordered a pair of 2.1" schwalbes. The amount of space around the tyres looks fine. Fingers crossed.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's pretty healthy, sometimes you find very skinny rims on this sort of bike as they're a little lighter (and cheaper!) but you could comfortably put a 2.3 on that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Subway uses the same Formula rims as the MTB hardtails as well...... in fact, other that the fork and tyres it's pretty much a vengeance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.