Yet another disc brakes and wheels question.......

andygo
andygo Posts: 39
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
Am currently building up a disc frame roadbike - and looking for advice on a couple of things......

Disc brakes....
Basically should I go for BB7s or CX5s?
Is there any difference in performance? quality? maintenance etc? I'm not too bothered about weight and they seem to cost about the same - but that is also a factor if there's not much between them.
I also noticed Ugo was using mountain BB7s on his (Shimergo setup) roadbike. I'm also considering going shimergo. I realise mountain have a longer pull and could be more difficult to set up - but is there any benefit to using mountain BB7s instead of road? Apart from the fact they're slightly cheaper (no bad thing).

(BTW - HyRd's are too expensive for me and I was keen on spyres until the recall - besides no-one's got any in stock now anyway)

Wheels...

Sadly my budget for wheels is v tight - around £100 total.
Apart from the frame, the brakes and possibly the wheels the rest of build will be sourced 2nd hand or using what I can from my old roadbike

I don't mind having a go at building some myself (never done it before but trued a couple and there's first time for everything.....) but am wondering:-
* Is it worth bothering to attempt a self build on my measly budget?
* If so could anyone recommend any budget hubs and rims? I spotted these at £25 each - are they any good? https://www.bricklanebikesshop.co.uk/pr ... c-rim-700c
* If not could anyone recommend any budget wheelsets?
* I was wondering about reusing the rims (and possibly spokes) from my old roadbike and just getting a set of disc hubs? The rims are Alex g2000 which were also stock on the old CDF. But is there much point in doing that (especially as the front has taken a serious impact - though it's still true and doesn't seem to be damaged)

Any advice appreciated
thanks for reading

Andy

Comments

• barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I had spyres on my road bike until the recall so they went back and I put the BB7 back on, The moment the spyres come back they will go straight back on, the BB7 are now where near as good
    I`ve been told mid to the end of Jan before they will be available ( unless someone knows different )
    In my opinion they will be worth the wait

Barrie
  • I did have BB7 MTB which are awesome, but the pad clearance is near nothing, so you're probably better off with a set of road ones. Not sure what people moan about, I find mechanical disc brakes excellent, once set up properly and that's the case for the CX 5 too.
    Some complain and then when you inspect their disc you notice a line corresponding to the pad's edge, which means poor installation of the caliper.

Wheels... the budget is really small. Shimano XT 785, a set of cheap rims and Alpina DB spokes is the least you can spend for something decent. You can get t he Deore 525, but you will regret it for the small price difference.
    I have a set of A 23 non machined to go half price (used for three months) , but Smidsy is supposed to take them...
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    barrie h wrote:
    I`ve been told mid to the end of Jan before they will be available ( unless someone knows different )

Curious as to where you heard that. If true it's good news! I might actually hold off buying my brakes.
  • andygo
    I had spyres on my road bike until the recall so they went back and I put the BB7 back on, The moment the spyres come back they will go straight back on, the BB7 are now where near as good
    In my opinion they will be worth the wait

thanks I've got some friends in the US so there's possibility of them sending some spyres over (and hopefully avoiding customs charges) but I'm kinda leaning towards tried and tested technology...
    Shimano XT 785, a set of cheap rims and Alpina DB spokes is the least you can spend for something decent. You can get t he Deore 525, but you will regret it for the small price difference.
    I have a set of A 23 non machined to go half price (used for three months) , but Smidsy is supposed to take them...
    Thanks for that, I saw in another thread you recommended xt deore for budget hubs....tbh I'm finding all the numbers on the shimano range a bit confusing...when I googled xt deore range it came up as M756....
    I'll look up the 785 range...
    I'll happily take 2nd dibs on your a23s....otherwise have you any thoughts on the velocity VXCs or (if someone put a gun to yr head) could you recommend any other budget rims or wheelsets. I know nothing about them, will pretty much any rim be ok for discs? Not hugely concerned about weight (can't afford to be!) but obviously lighter the better

thanks again
    Andy
  • andygo wrote:
    otherwise have you any thoughts on the velocity VXCs or (if someone put a gun to yr head) could you recommend any other budget rims or wheelsets. I know nothing about them, will pretty much any rim be ok for discs? Not hugely concerned about weight (can't afford to be!) but obviously lighter the better

thanks again
    Andy

Never used them, but Velocity don't do bad rims... I've always been happy with all I have used in their range... A 23, Aerohead, Blunt, Deep V...
  • andygo
    ok cheers, let me know if the a23s are still available....
    Andy
  • barrie h wrote:

Curious as to where you heard that. If true it's good news! I might actually hold off buying my brakes.

My LBS told me the same thing.
    My custom Ti disc-braked frame was almost ready to go and then TRP recalled the Spyres.
    I've got BB7s on my other bikes (3 of them, they're all road/cross :oops: ). They're great brakes but I'm really hoping/expecting that the Spyres will be a step forward.
    One of my GF's bikes (just to clarify: one GF, she has several bikes) is fitted with BB5s.
    They're nowhere near as good as BB7s; harder to adjust and keep running, pads last about 50% as long as BB7s.

• Another thing, I've got Velocity A23 rims on my main road bike, an On-One Dirty Disco.
    I've really liked the improvement in ride and handling/grip since I moved from the Mavic CXP33 rims that the bike was previously shod with.
    I did a RRTY last audax season; I started on 24mm tyres (Vittoria Paves) on both the CXPs and then the A23s and ended up quite quickly fitting 28mm Conti GP4 Seasons.
    "Finding" pot-holes in the dark encouraged the change and the Contis have proved to be less puncture prone than the Paves and, as far as I can tell, about their equal in terms of grip. The ride on bumpy roads is much better but then you'd expect that with their greater volume and the lower pressures that I can use.

ETA: Well done on choosing discs for your road bike. I'm a believer.
  • hp1975
    hp1975 Posts: 31
    Building your own wheels is great fun and massively satisfying. If you can true a wheel then you can build a wheel but you'll need a jig and a dish tool.

Your budget is tight but if you're really not fussy then go for something like Mavic Open Sport rims (ignore the braking surface and you dont need disc specific rims) laced to shimano Deore hubs with plain gauge spokes. They wont be light but I doubt you'd get much cheaper than that. Even basic spokes are 50p each which obviously adds up over two wheels.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ACI DB spokes are £0.21 each from Cycle Basket.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The A23 is a fine rim, open sport rims are useless. Used them once and never again the rider and he is not heavy made them go out of round with in a year. Rigida do some cheap hybrid disc rims so they are a bit wide like the taurus disc.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hp1975
    The A23 is a fine rim, open sport rims are useless. Used them once and never again the rider and he is not heavy made them go out of round with in a year.

Must have been a poor build, mine are arrow straight still after around 4000 winter miles.
  • andygo
    Thanks for all the suggestions...more food for thought.
    hp1975 wrote:
    Must have been a poor build, mine are arrow straight still after around 4000 winter miles.

Be nice to each other....it's still the season of goodwill (just) :roll:
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Please do not build a set of disc wheels with Open Sports. They are a single eyeleted basic rim and IMO simply would not be strong enough to withstand transmitting brake force from the hub to the rim.
    There are so many double eyeleted budget rims on the market that it would be daft to compromise your safety. Take your pick but at least make sure they are suitable.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • andygo
    woolwich wrote:
    Please do not build a set of disc wheels with Open Sports. They are a single eyeleted basic rim and IMO simply would not be strong enough to withstand transmitting brake force from the hub to the rim.
    There are so many double eyeleted budget rims on the market that it would be daft to compromise your safety. Take your pick but at least make sure they are suitable.

cheers for that
  • Re: brakes - have a look at the Shimano CX77. They are listed as Ultegra quality and can be picked up from Evans at £39.99 each at the moment (down from £49.99). Rotors are not included so this needs to be factored into total cost.

Reviews seem to be positive http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/brake-calipers/product/review-shimano-br-cx77-47872/.

Hayes have a new/rejigged range out. The CX5 replacement, the CX Expert is being shipped on Genesis bikes, however isn't likely to be available as an off the shelf buy until later in Feb.
  • boydster76 wrote:
    Hayes have a new/rejigged range out. The CX5 replacement, the CX Expert is being shipped on Genesis bikes, however isn't likely to be available as an off the shelf buy until later in Feb.

Yes, but it is the CX 5 with a different name... otherwise identical. so you can get the CX5 from CRC... which come with discs and bolts, but bizarrely no mounts
  • andygo
    boydster76 wrote:
    Re: brakes - have a look at the Shimano CX77. They are listed as Ultegra quality and can be picked up from Evans at £39.99 each at the moment (down from £49.99). Rotors are not included so this needs to be factored into total cost.

Reviews seem to be positive http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/brake-calipers/product/review-shimano-br-cx77-47872/.

cheers, apart from the colour (and a fiver) anyone know what the difference is between Shimano's CX77 and the R517 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... 3#features
  • hp1975
    woolwich wrote:

I'll let you know when mine fail :shock: :mrgreen:
  • cycleclinic
    Not a poor build hp1975, I built them. I re-rimmed for the customer with a Rigida chrina and he had no trouble thereafter. It is a rim I will never use again. I would suggest a cheap rigida Taurus disc for a decent disc only rim. It is a hybrid rim so wide but that should not be a problem.
  • For the road disc brakes skeptics another nail in the coffin of rim brakes...
    Even the King of Cross, Sven Nys has switched to disc brakes... of course he is paid to do so, but it means the end of an era, as others will follow suit inevitably.

So, c'mon, don't be the one left behind... discs are here to stay! 8)

33feq1l.jpg
  • Just gone for discs on winter bike. Also considering it for the summer bike but not a huge choice for lighter race bikes without spending a fortune so may hav to hold out a bit longer. Anyone got any ideas? Roubaix disc looks ok.
  • Just gone for discs on winter bike. Also considering it for the summer bike but not a huge choice for lighter race bikes without spending a fortune so may hav to hold out a bit longer. Anyone got any ideas? Roubaix disc looks ok.

For a proper road bike with discs I think you should wait... in a couple of years the choice will be greater... both in terms of frames and in terms of brakes
  • cycleclinic
    For frames at present the choice is so limted that a custom frame is kind of best unless the open mold ones appeal or the Equilibrium disc. As I can't wait it will have to be a custom frame as the open mold one have a hort top tube for me.
  • For frames at present the choice is so limted that a custom frame is kind of best unless the open mold ones appeal or the Equilibrium disc. As I can't wait it will have to be a custom frame as the open mold one have a hort top tube for me.

Any thoughts on the new spesh roubaix SL4 frameset? (Apart from it being specialized)! Difficult to find any reviews that aren't the usual paid magazine rubbish
  • It's probably not much use but I have the SL2 and really enjoy riding it. It's a very comfortable bike and I happily spend 5-6 hours on it at a time. I can only assume that they have positively developed it over the years so the SL4 must be a decent frameset IMO. It's never going to be an out and out sprinters bike due to the geometry but it depends what you are after.
  • hp1975
    Not a poor build hp1975, I built them. I re-rimmed for the customer with a Rigida chrina and he had no trouble thereafter. It is a rim I will never use again. I would suggest a cheap rigida Taurus disc for a decent disc only rim. It is a hybrid rim so wide but that should not be a problem.

Sorry cycleclinic didnt mean to offend, fair enough, all i can say is I built mine a couple of years ago as front wheel for my On-One Pompetamine and they're still true and round with not signs of stress to the rim. It is a front wheel but the back is built on a similarily cheap Ambrosio non-disc rim and its also fine. I'll bear it in mind for future builds though :mrgreen: .
  • boydster76 wrote:
    It's probably not much use but I have the SL2 and really enjoy riding it. It's a very comfortable bike and I happily spend 5-6 hours on it at a time. I can only assume that they have positively developed it over the years so the SL4 must be a decent frameset IMO. It's never going to be an out and out sprinters bike due to the geometry but it depends what you are after.

Looking for something for longer rides and also ironman (use a TT bike for tri usually but just not comfortable for 112miled no matter how hard I try!) looking to replace a focus Cayo and also fancy discs and the roubaix looks a good compromise and not too expensive.