Shimano press fit BB

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I need to replace my bb and it's a press fit one. Just want to know if I should put some grease between the carbon frame and bb before I press it in, or just press it in dry?

Cheers
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    A little Shimano anti-seize grease is all that is needed to ensure it comes out easily when needed
  • Not with a press fit BB into carbon. Especially if its a plastic cupped model from shimano. There are enough stories of press fit BB's creaking due to movement of them in the frame, the last thing you want to do is lubricate the area that you want to stay dead tight.

We sometimes use loctite 641 for troublesome frames that creak a lot at the BB, but never grease. (Not to mention the myths around grease and carbon.)

Read the instructions - you'll find for a screw-in BB they say to grease. Do they say the same with press fit? No.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    In general you shouldn't use grease on press-fit or interference fit interfaces. The appropriate Loctite is a much more sensible solution.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1 frame came with a Shimano press fit BB already installed, presumably at the factory by Scott. Looked like they had used some kind of green goo to help it in. No idea what it was though...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    as said, shimano tech docs do NOT specify grease for their PF BBs, dry fit only, grease for threaded, worked absolutely fine for a recent replace pf bb on a carbon mtb.

Have look under mtb/non series components/sm-bb91, covers mtb and road.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Scott CR1 SL manuals said nothing about grease and neither did SRAM GXP BB instructions, so I popped them in dry.

The Shimano BB that was already fitted had no grease either. The only green grease was inside the BB.

Had no problems with creaking (touch wood!)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    keef66

The green goo you describe is Shimano's own brand grease for wheel bearings, headsets, BB bearings etc. It's on the Shimano EU cycling website under the heading Accessories/Workshop.